NCsoft 4Q 2018 earning

> @"Henry.5713" said:

> And 2019 might end up being their best year yet or at least close to 2015 if they keep up sales similar to 2018 with the addition of a new expansion.

Considering we're going to have full season 5 right after season 4, there's practically no chance we'll get an expansion in 2019. We're in february already, there's still no episode 6,. and Season 5 will take at least 18 months (probably more), so, adding some time in between s4/s5, and s5/expac, i'd say that it may not come even in 2020. So, late (_very_ late) 2020/early 2021 at best.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Henry.5713" said:

> > And 2019 might end up being their best year yet or at least close to 2015 if they keep up sales similar to 2018 with the addition of a new expansion.

> Considering we're going to have full season 5 right after season 4, there's practically no chance we'll get an expansion in 2019. We're in february already, there's still no episode 6,. and Season 5 will take at least 18 months (probably more), so, adding some time in between s4/s5, and s5/expac, i'd say that it may not come even in 2020. So, late (_very_ late) 2020/early 2021 at best.

>

>

You might be right there. This year seems rather unlikely if you consider the renewed focus on Living Story releases. Though, I still wouldn't complete rule out an expansion release before 2021 or even before late 2020. They have surprised us in the past.

> @"Henry.5713" said:

> Has it been a year already? Always makes me wonder how few people actually read these reports in their entirety.

>

> Numbers in billion ₩

>

> * **2014** 85,634

> * **2015** 100,526

> * **2016** 76,636

> * **2017** 82,824

> * **2018** 80,163

> * **2019...**

>

>

> * **Q4 2015** 37,331 _Heart of Thorns_

> * **Q4 2016** 14,870 _Nothing_

> * **Q4 2017** 34,903 _Path of Fire_

> * **Q4 2018** 15,699 _Nothing_

> * **Q4 2019...**

>

> Turns out 2018 hasn't been that bad of a year, not at all considering it didn't have an expansion release. And 2019 might end up being their best year yet or at least close to 2015 if they keep up sales similar to 2018 with the addition of a new expansion. Why exactly are people panicing again?

That's the other part of the cycle: one of these reports is released and people panic that it's bad news. Doesn't matter what it actually says. Even if the profits have actually gone up it's still bad news because either it means the game is now entirely about the gem store or there's no way they'll be able to maintain it and then the next quarter will look even worse.

> @"Henry.5713" said:

> Has it been a year already? Always makes me wonder how few people actually read these reports in their entirety.

>

> Numbers in billion ₩

>

> * **2014** 85,634

> * **2015** 100,526

> * **2016** 76,636

> * **2017** 82,824

> * **2018** 80,163

> * **2019...**

>

>

> * **Q4 2015** 37,331 _Heart of Thorns_

> * **Q4 2016** 14,870 _Nothing_

> * **Q4 2017** 34,903 _Path of Fire_

> * **Q4 2018** 15,699 _Nothing_

> * **Q4 2019...**

>

> Turns out 2018 hasn't been that bad of a year, not at all considering it didn't have an expansion release. And 2019 might end up being their best year yet or at least close to 2015 if they keep up sales similar to 2018 with the addition of a new expansion. Why exactly are people panicing again?

Its worth considering since early 2017 or so they've been doubling down on the gemstore with more updates.

The income inst indicative of a healtier and better game which shows considering the number of ppl that have shared less than possitive outlooks on it.

2018 was one of the worst years in terms of ingame cintent updates and yet it scored close to 2017.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Henry.5713" said:

> > Has it been a year already? Always makes me wonder how few people actually read these reports in their entirety.

> >

> > Numbers in billion ₩

> >

> > * **2014** 85,634

> > * **2015** 100,526

> > * **2016** 76,636

> > * **2017** 82,824

> > * **2018** 80,163

> > * **2019...**

> >

> >

> > * **Q4 2015** 37,331 _Heart of Thorns_

> > * **Q4 2016** 14,870 _Nothing_

> > * **Q4 2017** 34,903 _Path of Fire_

> > * **Q4 2018** 15,699 _Nothing_

> > * **Q4 2019...**

> >

> > Turns out 2018 hasn't been that bad of a year, not at all considering it didn't have an expansion release. And 2019 might end up being their best year yet or at least close to 2015 if they keep up sales similar to 2018 with the addition of a new expansion. Why exactly are people panicing again?

>

> That's the other part of the cycle: one of these reports is released and people panic that it's bad news. Doesn't matter what it actually says. Even if the profits have actually gone up it's still bad news because either it means the game is now entirely about the gem store or there's no way they'll be able to maintain it and then the next quarter will look even worse.

Was it last q report or the one before that, which was higher than expected and ppl were actually fine, no negativity about it.

> > @"Henry.5713" said:

> > And 2019 might end up being their best year yet or at least close to 2015 if they keep up sales similar to 2018 with the addition of a new expansion.

> Considering we're going to have full season 5 right after season 4, there's practically no chance we'll get an expansion in 2019. We're in february already, there's still no episode 6,. and Season 5 will take at least 18 months (probably more), so, adding some time in between s4/s5, and s5/expac, i'd say that it may not come even in 2020. So, late (_very_ late) 2020/early 2021 at best.

>

>

2021 i feel like is out of the question simply because they dont take "extra time" inbetween seasons and expansions. That was basically a big selling point of se4 and pof it self, both slotted in a lw like cadence from each other and se3 iirc.

> @"LaGranse.8652" said:

> > @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> > This game used to be a sub based game didnt it? What if is was $5$10 a month to play but you could get skins/ mounts in game from boss drops, clean up some ingame Qol issues, keep the gem store as a side, but allow more to be done ingame instead of being bought. Allow wardrobe and hair to be changed ingame with ingame currency like gold or badges of some type. The big stuff like gender/race change really fancy outfits sparkle ponies and fancy tools rare minis fancy wings can still be in the gem store. Gems are here as i understand it to support the game since it dropped the sub, and thats fine, but i think if the quality of ingame play was there you wouldnt need a gem store, and people would pay a sub. Not a ridiculous sub like some games, but a decent enough one that it could work. But you have to have the content ingame to support it.

> >

> >

>

> If this game goes sub I stop playing cause I cannot stand the sub model. I want to buy a game and then play it when I want, not make sure I got a sub running so I can play it.

That why optional subs are also a thing.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"LaGranse.8652" said:

> > > @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> > > This game used to be a sub based game didnt it? What if is was $5$10 a month to play but you could get skins/ mounts in game from boss drops, clean up some ingame Qol issues, keep the gem store as a side, but allow more to be done ingame instead of being bought. Allow wardrobe and hair to be changed ingame with ingame currency like gold or badges of some type. The big stuff like gender/race change really fancy outfits sparkle ponies and fancy tools rare minis fancy wings can still be in the gem store. Gems are here as i understand it to support the game since it dropped the sub, and thats fine, but i think if the quality of ingame play was there you wouldnt need a gem store, and people would pay a sub. Not a ridiculous sub like some games, but a decent enough one that it could work. But you have to have the content ingame to support it.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > If this game goes sub I stop playing cause I cannot stand the sub model. I want to buy a game and then play it when I want, not make sure I got a sub running so I can play it.

>

> That why optional subs are also a thing.

An optional sub was not in your message, although I would stop playing then too cause some things would be locked behind an optional sub.

In the gemstore today if you buy something it is yours forever, with a sub it is gone in a month unless you pay for another month.

> > @"Henry.5713" said:

>

>

It depends on what LW5 looks like. LW4 looks like LW3, but nothing looks like LW1 or LW2. It's possible they change the formula.

Greatest things that ruin my fun in game are:

* **No Build Templates.** I love switching builds and playing around but I hate not being able to save my builds so I can easily switch back to them without having to Print Screen and save countless of pictures to 'remember' these builds.

Example: I love switching between Daredevil and Deadeye, but it's annoying how I have to go through the talents and pick stuff manually all the time. Kind of ruins the fun for me.

* **Terrible Fractal Instabilities.** I was having a blast in Fractals before these horrid instabilities got added. On top of that, some encounters are absolutely chaotic and horrible. You'll struggle avoiding things on the ground even with Daredevil, I can't imagine how it must feel playing other professions. Siren's Reef in particular has such obnoxious encounters, add Birds and Fire Spraying Instabilities and you'll get pure insanity!

* **AoE, Blinding Effects, Chaos!** There's way too much AoE that absolutely ruins combat and any joy of actually engaging larger fights. Effects spray everywhere, there's a whole load of mess going on, making you unable to keep an eye out on what's actually going on. Way too many flashy and blinding effects. It makes my eyes sore and my head hurt.

* **Too Much Brightness and Bright Colors.** Post Processing Off doesn't solve this issue because it makes the game look way too dark and bland. The current settings need more options to help us tweak lighting and lower it down a bit. Some zones are horrible to look at and lighting itself feels absolutely unnatural and blinding. You can't see details nor colors on your character due to lighting. Look at Desert zones, it's horrible how lighting conceals your character's details and colors, contrast is huge.

* **Misplaced Music, Continuous Music Playing Even After Switching Zones.** Some areas have misplaced music. I was just doing Arah run and Kryta music started playing in middle of this grim, dark dungeon. It absolutely ruins the whole feel of it. Some zones really need a 'playlist' tweak so that music is in place. On top of that, music needs to stop playing when we switch zones. I hate having Divinity's Reach theme play when I move from DR to Orr or any other zone.

* **Way Too Light Story Tone.** The story lacks depth and seriousness. Some moments can be dark but they immediately get ruined by misplaced humor and taking the situation way too light. The only difference and amazing twist happened in Episode 5 All or Nothing, for which I'll keep praising the team as it's exactly what I expected from GW story.

I hope the story goes more serious and deeper than what we had so far, I miss that GW1 atmosphere in GW2, hopefully it returns.

I love GW2, I always loved GW franchise and I really hope most of the problems that got posted in this thread get addressed. It will make the game so much better for everyone.

I mean the story is cool and all but waiting 3-4 months for just 2-3hour singleplayer update is not something I'm too excited for in MMO.

* All new maps are just yet another generic open world maps, that die out so quickly unless it's top gold farm like istan.

* We get like 2-3 boss easy mode fractal every 6-7months, 2-4 boss raid wing every 8-9months.

* Really nothing new gets added. No side activities, no pvp/wvw updates, no life-skills or any other interesting systems, no housing or something similiar to work for long term. Feels like all the resources are focused on this single player story instances. New shinies are mostly dissapointing, everything flashy or cool just ends up gem store, which is just so boring. We have billion mount skins and not a single one is available from playing the game, just grind gold or use CC.

When I think that we are still about 2 years away from 3rd expansion (if they keep pace at 1ep/3months), I'm not too optimistic for the game.

Lots of my friends/guildies quit or are only playing for like a week after episode release and quit again. The lack of replayability and incredibly slow challanging/fun group content releases are slowly killing the game for me, I stay online less and less each week.

I love the game but I strongly disagree with direction it's going. I don't feel like supporting it with gems and I know quite a bit of people like that.

> @"Critical Lag.9075" said:

> I mean the story is cool and all but waiting 3-4 months for just 2-3hour singleplayer update is not something I'm too excited for in MMO.

> * All new maps are just yet another generic open world maps, that die out so quickly unless it's top gold farm like istan.

> * We get like 2-3 boss easy mode fractal every 6-7months, 2-4 boss raid wing every 8-9months.

> * Really nothing new gets added. No side activities, no pvp/wvw updates, no life-skills or any other interesting systems, no housing or something similiar to work for long term. Feels like all the resources are focused on this single player story instances. New shinies are mostly dissapointing, everything flashy or cool just ends up gem store, which is just so boring. We have billion mount skins and not a single one is available from playing the game, just grind gold or use CC.

>

> When I think that we are still about 2 years away from 3rd expansion (if they keep pace at 1ep/3months), I'm not too optimistic for the game.

>

> Lots of my friends/guildies quit or are only playing for like a week after episode release and quit again. The lack of replayability and incredibly slow challanging/fun group content releases are slowly killing the game for me, I stay online less and less each week.

>

> I love the game but I strongly disagree with direction it's going. I don't feel like supporting it with gems and I know quite a bit of people like that.

I pretty much feel the same, with addition that I think the story is strangling the pve side of it (for me). Haven't been this disappointed and detached to an rpg story in a very long time. I'm unlikely to quit, but my time in game is dwindling - especially as every person I ever played with has left for good now. There are too many rpgs with great stories out there and I'm realising playing an inferior gw2 more is to experience these better stories less.

I doubt the story can be fixed for me at this stage, but the game feels it needs something to pull it out of the slowly stagnating, visual noise infested chaos it seems to be in. PoF and mounts really rejuvenated the game, but the living world seasons are rarely doing anything for me, nor have they ever. The though of another full cycle before an expac is not palatable. And when I see something like that last poor episode dropped, it doesn't encourage me to part with money.

> @"Critical Lag.9075" said:

~snip~

>

> When I think that we are still about 2 years away from 3rd expansion (if they keep pace at 1ep/3months), I'm not too optimistic for the game.

>

~snip~

You're assuming that a LW season has to be about 6 episodes long, there is no set number of episodes per season, it could be as short as 1 episode or as long as 8 to 10 or anything in between.

I was on furlough for 35 days(aka not getting paid to work), don't have any discretionary money to spend right now.

> @"LaGranse.8652" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"LaGranse.8652" said:

> > > > @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> > > > This game used to be a sub based game didnt it? What if is was $5$10 a month to play but you could get skins/ mounts in game from boss drops, clean up some ingame Qol issues, keep the gem store as a side, but allow more to be done ingame instead of being bought. Allow wardrobe and hair to be changed ingame with ingame currency like gold or badges of some type. The big stuff like gender/race change really fancy outfits sparkle ponies and fancy tools rare minis fancy wings can still be in the gem store. Gems are here as i understand it to support the game since it dropped the sub, and thats fine, but i think if the quality of ingame play was there you wouldnt need a gem store, and people would pay a sub. Not a ridiculous sub like some games, but a decent enough one that it could work. But you have to have the content ingame to support it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > If this game goes sub I stop playing cause I cannot stand the sub model. I want to buy a game and then play it when I want, not make sure I got a sub running so I can play it.

> >

> > That why optional subs are also a thing.

>

> An optional sub was not in your message, although I would stop playing then too cause some things would be locked behind an optional sub.

>

> In the gemstore today if you buy something it is yours forever, with a sub it is gone in a month unless you pay for another month.

No, not quote. Theres examples of games with such systems.

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> Stuff like the mount adoption licences and themed mount packs are going to inherently have diminishing returns among most players. I mean really, how many dozens of mount skins can one person need even if they want all their mounts to perfectly match their character's fashion?

Three words: Random mount checkbox.

> @"Aza.2105" said:

> > @"Burnfall.9573" said:

> > > @"Aza.2105" said:

> > > Numbers would soar through the roof if they dropped a Cantha xpac.

> >

> > ' Fool Me Once, Your Loss. End Of Story '

> >

> > Too Late!, Cantha won't save the game

>

> But the game isn't dying.

'The Truth Is On The March And Nothing Will Stop It'

'There is only one way to solve this crisis.....; and that is to get down right down to the root cause of the problems'

![](http://www.randrmagonline.com/ext/resources/Issues/2017/April/News/Symtom.jpg?1493921470 "")

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > Stuff like the mount adoption licences and themed mount packs are going to inherently have diminishing returns among most players. I mean really, how many dozens of mount skins can one person need even if they want all their mounts to perfectly match their character's fashion?

>

> Three words: Random mount checkbox.

Three words: Single Digit Frames.