Mythical Creatures

Now, we all know that GW has already a vast library of mythical monsters.

From Dragons ? to Hydras ?, from gryphon ? to minotaur ?.

But what about those that aren't in the game?

Which myth would you like to see in the wild?

Here's just a few ideas.

● Unicorn and Pegasus

● Shiva (Boss)?

● Chimera

● Manticore

What about your ideas?

??♠

???

???

I'd like to see something like a selkie - creatures which change from seal to human form by 'shedding' their seal skin (which can sometimes then be worn as a coat). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie (Not to be confused with kelpies, which are also Gaelic shape-shifting water spirits, but they're more associated with fresh water and turn into horses.)

They naturally live out in the ocean but sometimes come near land exploring and some end up living among humans, either voluntarily or because their seal skin is stolen and they can't escape without getting it back. Since we're exploring both the norn lands (Tyria's best known shape-shifters) and the Far Shiverpeaks I think it could be an interesting addition. That and I just like selkie stories and I'd like to see what the writers do with it.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Horses..

> ?

There's already a horse in GW2. Just not in the wild, and you can't see him. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mr._Gum_Drops

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I'd like to see something like a selkie - creatures which change from seal to human form by 'shedding' their seal skin (which can sometimes then be worn as a coat). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie (Not to be confused with kelpies, which are also Gaelic shape-shifting water spirits, but they're more associated with fresh water and turn into horses.)

>

> They naturally live out in the ocean but sometimes come near land exploring and some end up living among humans, either voluntarily or because their seal skin is stolen and they can't escape without getting it back. Since we're exploring both the norn lands (Tyria's best known shape-shifters) and the Far Shiverpeaks I think it could be an interesting addition. That and I just like selkie stories and I'd like to see what the writers do with it.

>

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Horses..

> > ?

>

> There's already a horse in GW2. Just not in the wild, and you can't see him. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mr._Gum_Drops

Mad King lies

Jokingly: I want a flying spaghetti monster

Seriously, I would like to see an underwater monster like nessie (loch ness monster). A NPC gives you a device to capture a picture as proof. When equiped you get a button that needs 4 seconds to activate and you can not move when activating. Nessie moves underwater at 200% speed and has an extreme long route, going through several maps. It can not be attacked. you get a reward if you capture it. So it means knowing the route, registering when it comes by and activating the device at the right time to capture it's image.

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> Joke aside, perhaps an interesting take on mythical monsters from a mechanic standpoint would be to have them Legendary monsters that change maps either randomly or in a cycle.

Good idea.

A new feature called Myth hunter, and we'd go around looking for specific monsters to kill.

We could have a list, and once the collection is complete, we'd get a legendary of our choice.

> @"Dante.1508" said:

> Underwater is not as exciting as it sounds on paper.. I believe they add stuff they can add legally.. as in rights to own content.. Shiva is probably not a free domain item.

Shiva is a Hindu god. Even if you could copyright a real-world deity the copyright would have expired by now. (And even for very new religions, founded after copyright became common place, copyrighting deities would be problematic because you can only copyright things you've created - you'd be making an official declaration that your deity is fictional). Making it a trade mark might be an option - I know real people's legal names can also be a trade mark (that's one reason some musicians perform under a stage name - their real name was taken), but I don't know if you can trade mark someone else's name, so unless you're declaring yourself to be a deity that would also be difficult.

But I think the main reason game developers avoid some real life deities is because their followers might find it offensive to see their god portrayed in fiction. That varies greatly by religion and sect, from being explicitly forbidden to allowed as long as it's an accurate portrayal to seemingly a non-issue or even encouraged. That and for things like Guild Wars set in a separate universe it's probably easier to create your own deities than try to introduce existing ones, which might interfear with the history and mythology you want to create.

Copyright doesn't apply to the vast majority of mythology or folklore either, because it's existed for so long no one knows who invented it and more often than not it was a cumulative process over time. Even some relatively modern folk tales are now in the public domain. For example the Fables comics, which could include any public domain character, included ones from The Wizard of Oz and even the Lone Ranger.