how would you feel about a pvp/ wvw only expansion?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > ... you've only got two kinds of players - free players and ones who have access to everything...

>

> Minor correction: Three types of players: Those who bought the base game but no expansions. Which is largely the same as FTP, but without any of its restrictions. I do go into WvW with my core-only alt accounts.

Did you somehow start reading that in the middle of that sentance? The full thing is "Although it wouldn't surprise me if that's part of why they bundled HoT and PoF together and made that the only paid version of the game - so **apart from people who bought the game earlier and never upgraded** you've only got two kinds of players - free players and ones who have access to everything."

My point is that short of somehow forcing players to buy expansions (which they can't reasonably do) Anet seems to be making an effort to minimise variations between what players have access to. PvE is already fairly self-contained - you'll never find things which require mounts if you don't own PoF or thinks which require gliding, bounce mushrooms etc. if you don't have HoT. So I suspect it's in WvW and PvP they're concerned about having a level playing field. Which makes it unlikely they'd release a dedicated WvW and PvP expansion with a bunch of features only available to those who buy it.

Would I like them to add more varied/new PvP content to the game? yes, but maybe not an expansion based around it?

I'd love to see some new PvP maps or modes, and alternatives to the "cap 3 points" maps that we currently have.

The majority of players really only play PvE so I really don't think it's worth dedicating resources to create a PvP expansion and realistically it's never going to happen anyway, but I really would be happy to see them add anything to make the mode (PvP) more interesting and/or fun.

I'm seeing a few polls about this lately. And honestly, I think it comes down to how rarely we get expansions. I couldn't stand if the next expansion was pvp or wvw only, but if expansions were a yearly thing, that brought sometimes elite specs, sometimes big maps and new story arcs, sometimes pvp expansions, sometimes wvw expansions. If every year something big and cool came out, I'd be really happy for specific expansions. As it is right now, it's been over 3 years since the last expansion, with another year or two expected before it hits. With 4-5 year gaps in expansions, I can't support the idea to have more specific additions only.

Would be great in an ideal situation, since it would allow them to focus a lot of attention onto one aspect for a bit. But it's just not the reality of the game sadly. If someone had told me when PoF came out that we'd be 4 or 5 years before another expansion, I'd have laughed. Who's laughing now....?

Still glad we're finally getting an expansion!

I like pvp games, buy and play pvp games so why wouldn't I like a pvp focused expansion for my favourite mmorpg.

Does it make sense from a business point of view? No. I also doubt it would attract many new pvp players, that train already left the station. There are plenty of new and good pvp games on the market, people will not buy an old game that changed it's focus.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> - Frequent tweaks on balance

And as soon as anet makes every ability different for PvP (WvW is also PvP), they can freely do changes to balance as much as they want. Until that happens, i can't ephasise this enough: **NO!**

Still, such an expansion would be dead on arrival, so it's a good thing it won't happen.

> @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > - Frequent tweaks on balance

>

> And as soon as anet makes every ability different for PvP (WvW is also PvP),

Technically Incorrect as there are both elements of PvE and PvP in WvW thus the differentiation of sPvP. But call it what you will.

> they can freely do changes to balance as much as they want.

Many WvW players would greatly prefer this as most of the broken specs were made that way secondary to PvE specific tweaks/buffs/nerfs.

Adding to what I said earlier in this thread. I think WvW and PvP centered content could be released as a **replacement** for a living world update and not **as** a living world update.

I am mainly a PvEer (probably most GW2 players) but I do think the WvW and PvP community needs some love and attention. I don't think this kind of content should be locked behind any sort of paywall (expansion or living world episode), but I think having a pause in living world releases to address and add new WvW and PvP content (for all players) would be most welcome. After the EoD expansion (which I am guessing will be a lot of PvE content), taking the next 6 months to focus on WvW/PvP and release them as normal patches and updates would be quite nice, especially if EoD brings interesting new elite specs, a focus on rebalancing would probably be a good idea anyway (and maybe why we haven't had much this past year).

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> _assuming_ it comes after cantha, that cantha xpac doesn't have wvw alliances (zomg how dare you doubt you heathen), it costs less (20$?), they revamp all the weak stuff and add the missing skills (necro elite well, teef preparation heal etc. and maybe some new core weapons), and blah blah what have you. no not another elite spec since cantha will have one. gvg support for wvw and actual multiple working modes for pvp (one can pray).

it's waaay too early to even think about the next xpac after cantha. _well for us anyways._ kinda feels very uneasy if that's even going to happen, but i need more info. please everyone comment below on this. :D

**edit:** i wonder if cantha will have the gw1 dual spec thing. blending two specs into 1? So i can be that warrrior/mesmer i always wanted to be. :)

> @"Veprovina.4876" said:

> I'd like that just because i want some more love for WvW players.

> But i honestly don't know how that would work, how would you get expansion and non expansion people on one battlefield?

> Would you divide them?

> Would the non expansion people be crippled by not having the expansion stuff?

> If so that's pay to win, and that's going to ruin it for everybody.

>

> So in general - meh...

> PvP and WvW content shouldn't really be paid for (although in some way it is - you cant't get HoT recipes in WvW if you don't own HoT i think, someone correct me if i'm wrong).

The division is already here with years of PvP Only patches with regular years worth of PvE contents.

'what you ignore, spreads' the consequences of years of ignoring the WvW community are now spreading to all other game modes and can not be stopped