Can we Mac OSX users get a DPS meter from ArenaNet please?

Touchme.1097

Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

Regards.

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> Regards.

Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

It gives the dps meter you want.

Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > Regards.

>

> Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> It gives the dps meter you want.

> Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

Raid golem sure is very helpful for nailing down your basic rotation and establishing some general build setups.

But It gets hard to replicate the exact scenarios and group compositions with exact % uptimes of specific boons/condis under specific conditions in order to apply certain minor trait/rune/sigil adjustments for your benefit, not to say it’s extremely helpful to constantly monitor your dps in comparison to the dps of your other party members. + dps logs to trace your mistakes and fix them.

Training golem is good and helpful, but imo not comparable to the actual dps meter available at all times.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > Regards.

>

> Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> It gives the dps meter you want.

> Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

> @"phokus.8934" said:

> What’s the sense of them releasing a dps meter for macOS when they won’t release one for Windows?

It makes sense because Windows users can use any addons including DPS meters and Mac users can't because addons are designed for Windows. The only thing that doesn't make sense is Mac users not being able to use addons and a built in DPS meter will ensure compatibility with the game. It's not going to affect the whole community and it's not going to make Mac users feel bad because they are not playing GW2 on Windows.

Why should addons be a privilege of Windows users, it doesn't make sense!

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > @"phokus.8934" said:

> > What’s the sense of them releasing a dps meter for macOS when they won’t release one for Windows?

>

> It makes sense because Windows users can use any addons including DPS meters and Mac users can't because addons are designed for Windows. The only thing that doesn't make sense is Mac users not being able to use addons and a built in DPS meter will ensure compatibility with the game. It's not going to affect the whole community and it's not going to make Mac users feel bad because they are not playing GW2 on Windows.

> Why should addons be a privilege of Windows users, it doesn't make sense!

That literally makes no sense. If ANet is not going to make a Windows based DPS meter add-on (which that alone is just plain silly because they'd incorporate it into the game) then they're not going to make a macOS one.

And as someone said, go ask the macOS community to make one.

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > Regards.

> >

> > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

>

> I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

And that is why you use the understanding+muscle memory you get from rotation training on the golem in actual raid situations.

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > Regards.

> >

> > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

>

> I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

• 3 weeks later...

> @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > > Regards.

> > >

> > > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> >

> > I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

>

> Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

That's not exactly how things work, it's more complicated than that. You have to set a certain standard to your DPS in burst phases that can surely help a lot.

> @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > > Regards.

> > >

> > > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> >

> > I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

>

> Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

Logs? You can spot all your mistakes from there.

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > > > Regards.

> > > >

> > > > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > > > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > > > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> > >

> > > I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

> >

> > Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

>

> That's not exactly how things work, it's more complicated than that. You have to set a certain standard to your DPS in burst phases that can surely help a lot.

Notice how you didn't answer my question at all.

You don't really need a seperate dps meter as a tool to improve your dps. You might as well just perfect your dps rotations on an immobile golem and then while raiding you'll know when you messed up your rotation, when you've failed at a mechanic or when you missed a phase, so despite not knowing your dps during the raid, you'll know it's not optimal and why it's not optimal. Dps meter during the raids themselves don't change that much about it.

> @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > > > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > > > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > > > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > > > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > > > > Regards.

> > > > >

> > > > > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > > > > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > > > > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> > > >

> > > > I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

> > >

> > > Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

> >

> > That's not exactly how things work, it's more complicated than that. You have to set a certain standard to your DPS in burst phases that can surely help a lot.

>

> Notice how you didn't answer my question at all.

>

> You don't really need a seperate dps meter as a tool to improve your dps. You might as well just perfect your dps rotations on an immobile golem and then while raiding you'll know when you messed up your rotation, when you've failed at a mechanic or when you missed a phase, so despite not knowing your dps during the raid, you'll know it's not optimal and why it's not optimal. Dps meter during the raids themselves don't change that much about it.

No, it won't help because raid bosses don't stand still taking up the beating like good golems do. Your argument is nonsense, sorry

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > > > > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > > > > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > > > > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > > > > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > > > > > Regards.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > > > > > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > > > > > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

> > > >

> > > > Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

> > >

> > > That's not exactly how things work, it's more complicated than that. You have to set a certain standard to your DPS in burst phases that can surely help a lot.

> >

> > Notice how you didn't answer my question at all.

> >

> > You don't really need a seperate dps meter as a tool to improve your dps. You might as well just perfect your dps rotations on an immobile golem and then while raiding you'll know when you messed up your rotation, when you've failed at a mechanic or when you missed a phase, so despite not knowing your dps during the raid, you'll know it's not optimal and why it's not optimal. Dps meter during the raids themselves don't change that much about it.

>

> No, it won't help because raid bosses don't stand still taking up the beating like good golems do. Your argument is nonsense, sorry

It will since your rotation is the same if the taget is standing still or moving.

You just have to learn where to restart your rotation after moving.

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > @"phokus.8934" said:

> > What’s the sense of them releasing a dps meter for macOS when they won’t release one for Windows?

>

> It makes sense because Windows users can use any addons including DPS meters and Mac users can't because addons are designed for Windows. The only thing that doesn't make sense is Mac users not being able to use addons and a built in DPS meter will ensure compatibility with the game. It's not going to affect the whole community and it's not going to make Mac users feel bad because they are not playing GW2 on Windows.

> Why should addons be a privilege of Windows users, it doesn't make sense!

Add ons are not a privilege of Windows users, its just a matter of Mac users choosing to NOT develop the same tools that Windows players have. Your decision to use an OS not supported by existing player made tools and the subsequent decision to not develop tools for yourself is not a function of Windows privilege.

> @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > > > > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > > > > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > > > > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > > > > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > > > > > Regards.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > > > > > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > > > > > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

> > > >

> > > > Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

> > >

> > > That's not exactly how things work, it's more complicated than that. You have to set a certain standard to your DPS in burst phases that can surely help a lot.

> >

> > Notice how you didn't answer my question at all.

> >

> > You don't really need a seperate dps meter as a tool to improve your dps. You might as well just perfect your dps rotations on an immobile golem and then while raiding you'll know when you messed up your rotation, when you've failed at a mechanic or when you missed a phase, so despite not knowing your dps during the raid, you'll know it's not optimal and why it's not optimal. Dps meter during the raids themselves don't change that much about it.

>

> No, it won't help because raid bosses don't stand still taking up the beating like good golems do. Your argument is nonsense, sorry

It doesn't help with execution in reality.

But it's a lot better than a plan on paper.

At least using the raid golem helps commit the rotation to muscle memory rather than ok, this skill is #1, that skill is #8, this other skill is #3, all while in the middle of the raid while your DPS is greatly diminished because you haven't quite got the rotation down at all.

It helps players build confidence in their build and that confidence can mean the difference in them choking after a mistake or picking back up where they left off.

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > > > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Touchme.1097" said:

> > > > > > > > Dear ArenaNet, I am a Mac OSX user and it's currently impossible for me to install third party programs using the GW2 API since they use the .dll extension.

> > > > > > > > It would be a quality improvement if Mac users could get some of the most popular Addons built in the Mac client because Addons are all built around the Windows client.

> > > > > > > > Since Mac users are a minority of your customers and my idea wouldn't be a huge impact on the whole community, could you please release a built in dps meter for the Mac client?

> > > > > > > > I want to constantly improve my dps but without a meter I am not able to progress any further.

> > > > > > > > Regards.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Good news you can improve your dps useing the raid training golem area.

> > > > > > > It gives the dps meter you want.

> > > > > > > Then use that muscle memory to replicate it were ever you like.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I have to disagree with you because the training Golem doesn't behave like a raid boss, it just stands still and takes all the damage, it doesn't have combat mechanics and it won't be effective in improving my raid damage. It's a way to calculate the damage output but not an accurate way to improve raid performances.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ok, so you get your dps meter, you see your dps is lower than on a golem or whatever and then... How exactly do you use that information to improve your raid performance?

> > > >

> > > > That's not exactly how things work, it's more complicated than that. You have to set a certain standard to your DPS in burst phases that can surely help a lot.

> > >

> > > Notice how you didn't answer my question at all.

> > >

> > > You don't really need a seperate dps meter as a tool to improve your dps. You might as well just perfect your dps rotations on an immobile golem and then while raiding you'll know when you messed up your rotation, when you've failed at a mechanic or when you missed a phase, so despite not knowing your dps during the raid, you'll know it's not optimal and why it's not optimal. Dps meter during the raids themselves don't change that much about it.

> >

> > No, it won't help because raid bosses don't stand still taking up the beating like good golems do. Your argument is nonsense, sorry

>

> It doesn't help with execution in reality.

>

> But it's a lot better than a plan on paper.

>

> At least using the raid golem helps commit the rotation to muscle memory rather than ok, this skill is #1, that skill is #8, this other skill is #3, all while in the middle of the raid while your DPS is greatly diminished because you haven't quite got the rotation down at all.

>

> It helps players build confidence in their build and that confidence can mean the difference in them choking after a mistake or picking back up where they left off.

This. There is a reason that we practice endeavors requiring skill or accurate execution even beyond gaming.