Yooo what happened to this game?

Drennon.7190

Just came back from a 6-month break and this game is wild now. People are teleporting to different nodes. Porting underground to self rez. People with racial charged characters and guild names.

Mind you this is all in ranked.

This game went like full scorched earth in a matter of 6 months.

Sadly the rise in cheaters isnt exclusive to just Gw2. Realworld punishments should be put into the terms and conditions for the act of cheating tbh. This and only this will stop people from cheating. Make it financial. Get caught, get fined.

All game companies go under the basis that you get caught, you get banned. The banned user creates a new account and cheats again. Nothing stops the cheater with this method.

Strip the main character of all clothes and throw off a bridge. Put all items on exclusive sale at Black Trading Post and send money to charity (Violated Mesmers Foundation or something).

Then send an email to the account owner with a link to an anger management for offended young gamers.

Maybe that will be enough?

> @"Khalisto.5780" said:

> I played against the same guy, got it on camera, submitted a ticket, reported in game a posted it on forums.

>

> My post was removed because "accusing" another player is agaisnt the rule.

>

> Funny enough i wasn't accusing I was proving he was hacking, but apparently both things seems to be the same to anet.

Naming and shaming is something they don't want to happen so it's forbidden on these forums.

Submitting proof of hacking may or may not "work." Just because you don't see a hacker again doesn't mean they were banned. And, just because you see a hacker again doesn't mean they weren't banned.

The biggest issue is that people expect perma bans but Anet doesn't actually issue that many perma bans (and that doesn't stop them from getting new accounts). And there's no system in game for Anet to flag an account as one that was banned for hacking at some point.

Anet could add a badge to all characters on an account for a period of time if they determine the person was hacking. That way, even if they let the person back in game other people would have a sense that the hacker had been caught previously and was on Anet's radar.

But that's not likely because Anet doesn't see much value in shaming people who cheat. That's a choice I neither agree nor disagree with. 99% of players aren't hacking so I still can enjoy the game.

> @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> Sadly the rise in cheaters isnt exclusive to just Gw2. Realworld punishments should be put into the terms and conditions for the act of cheating tbh. This and only this will stop people from cheating. Make it financial. Get caught, get fined.

>

> All game companies go under the basis that you get caught, you get banned. The banned user creates a new account and cheats again. Nothing stops the cheater with this method.

Yeah allot of games suffer from hacks and bots currently, it got a big surge with the pandemic and all. Even the richest MMO producer Blizzard can't handle them, and they do have the mulla. It is kinda funny seeing the conga line of star chickens farming. This doesn't give me much hope that Arenanet would be able to manage the situation.

> @"saerni.2584" said:

> > @"Khalisto.5780" said:

> > I played against the same guy, got it on camera, submitted a ticket, reported in game a posted it on forums.

> >

> > My post was removed because "accusing" another player is agaisnt the rule.

> >

> > Funny enough i wasn't accusing I was proving he was hacking, but apparently both things seems to be the same to anet.

>

> Naming and shaming is something they don't want to happen so it's forbidden on these forums.

>

> Submitting proof of hacking may or may not "work." Just because you don't see a hacker again doesn't mean they were banned. And, just because you see a hacker again doesn't mean they weren't banned.

>

> The biggest issue is that people expect perma bans but Anet doesn't actually issue that many perma bans (and that doesn't stop them from getting new accounts). And there's no system in game for Anet to flag an account as one that was banned for hacking at some point.

>

> Anet could add a badge to all characters on an account for a period of time if they determine the person was hacking. That way, even if they let the person back in game other people would have a sense that the hacker had been caught previously and was on Anet's radar.

>

> But that's not likely because Anet doesn't see much value in shaming people who cheat. That's a choice I neither agree nor disagree with. 99% of players aren't hacking so I still can enjoy the game.

My point was never shaming, but show those things are actually there.

A lot of people deny the existance of such things, and it's not hard to find those here on forums.

Before this i think i have seen 1 bot since 2012, but now it was 3 last 2-3 weeks

Pvp is great, i still have fun but it's neven been worst

> @"saerni.2584" said:

>

> The biggest issue is that people expect perma bans but Anet doesn't actually issue that many perma bans (and that doesn't stop them from getting new accounts). And there's no system in game for Anet to flag an account as one that was banned for hacking at some point.

To me I find this quite funny, I'm going to assume they don't perma ban cheaters because they think if they let them play again down the line they will give them money. Cheaters will never pay for things other than the cheat software, so why give them the chance to play again?

They said they're working on better ways to detect and prevent cheating from bettering the report system to preventing what they can from a code level.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121390/an-update-on-game-security-and-player-reporting-in-guild-wars-2

It's a problem in any Free to play game, If a Hacker is banned they just create a new account and the cycle continues, Hopefully the upcoming changes can mitigate it.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

> They said they're working on better ways to detect and prevent cheating from bettering the report system to preventing what they can from a code level.

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121390/an-update-on-game-security-and-player-reporting-in-guild-wars-2

>

> It's a problem in any Free to play game, If a Hacker is banned they just create a new account and the cycle continues, Hopefully the upcoming changes can mitigate it.

Can't they IP ban the person? i know some games have ways of IP banning someone and thus preventing them from playing since if they connect you can get their physical ip no?

Maybe there is a hidden issue with ip hiders and things like that, but there has to be some physical detectable ip when connecting to a game.

Plus these guys have skills on pc that far excede anything we could come close to, at least for me who knows nothing about pcs. There must be something they can do to prevent these people from connecting repeatedly after breaking the rules.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> > @"Solanum.6983" said:

> > They said they're working on better ways to detect and prevent cheating from bettering the report system to preventing what they can from a code level.

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121390/an-update-on-game-security-and-player-reporting-in-guild-wars-2

> >

> > It's a problem in any Free to play game, If a Hacker is banned they just create a new account and the cycle continues, Hopefully the upcoming changes can mitigate it.

>

> Can't they IP ban the person? i know some games have ways of IP banning someone and thus preventing them from playing since if they connect you can get their physical ip no?

>

> Maybe there is a hidden issue with ip hiders and things like that, but there has to be some physical detectable ip when connecting to a game.

>

> Plus these guys have skills on pc that far excede anything we could come close to, at least for me who knows nothing about pcs. There must be something they can do to prevent these people from connecting repeatedly after breaking the rules.

>

Most hackers I assume would use VPNs so you can't trace their actual IP address, otherwise yes It'd be as simple as an IP Ban.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

> They said they're working on better ways to detect and prevent cheating from bettering the report system to preventing what they can from a code level.

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121390/an-update-on-game-security-and-player-reporting-in-guild-wars-2

>

> It's a problem in any Free to play game, If a Hacker is banned they just create a new account and the cycle continues, Hopefully the upcoming changes can mitigate it.

Dunno why ppl blame on f2p, i heard 3 ppl talking about same hacker, guess what, he was playing scourge, most bots are scourges as well

Ive seen 5 bots so far playing f2p 3 wars and 2 guards, they all play hammer builds

Another guy known for botting plays scourge on his TWENTY accounts

An IP ban would only keep the user away as long as the IP lease will end. When the computer receives a new IP, or after a flush dns, the user will be back.

Having the IP is not an exact method to identify a person either. Some times the lease information is not correct, and laws prevent a company to get an identity of an account owner. Otherwise it would be possible contact the isp and filter away ANet for that particular user.. but there are too many "if" and "but" to make it possible.

Using IP ban is bad practise. Next month I might get that IP and be unable to play.

There should be better methods.

> @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> Sadly the rise in cheaters isnt exclusive to just Gw2. Realworld punishments should be put into the terms and conditions for the act of cheating tbh. This and only this will stop people from cheating. Make it financial. Get caught, get fined.

>

> All game companies go under the basis that you get caught, you get banned. The banned user creates a new account and cheats again. Nothing stops the cheater with this method.

This is not right because it would make cheating a luxury of the rich who can afford paying the fine and cheating in online game is not considered a criminal offence in any legislation. It's a bad thing to do indeed but you have to consider the consequences of a real life punishment for cheating in a game. IP ban is a decent punishment.

Maybe each instance of GW2 , has an internal ''code'' .

And those that when flagged/reported are removed from the ''good player -instance groups/load balancer filter or whatever '' (after 24 hours) , and re-route+dc constatly , till they found center that has 400 ping , or his data rather than eu>usa ... goes eu>india>astralia>usa ?

12 Hours after they get flagged/or any time (falsy by players) , a small program will run in the background and record the other open programs .

If it finds a well know hack program runing , you will directed in a high ping center after 12 hours . Otherwise it will put you i the ''good list"

If they keep using it after 72 hours (after 2 more random minitest) -while they lag , ban them .

Or they should contact the support for the LAG and list themselves the programs that are running in the back . If they try to hide the program (diactivate it and sent the results) ...then...

Otherwise the support can learn what that program do and whitelist it , from the database

> @"Lucio.4190" said:

> An IP ban would only keep the user away as long as the IP lease will end. When the computer receives a new IP, or after a flush dns, the user will be back.

> Having the IP is not an exact method to identify a person either. Some times the lease information is not correct, and laws prevent a company to get an identity of an account owner. Otherwise it would be possible contact the isp and filter away ANet for that particular user.. but there are too many "if" and "but" to make it possible.

>

> Using IP ban is bad practise. Next month I might get that IP and be unable to play.

> There should be better methods.

They can still ban the actual account even delete it to prevent it from ever being reused again.

> @"Smoosh.2718" said:

>

HWID bans.

> @"Axl.8924" said:

> > @"Lucio.4190" said:

> > An IP ban would only keep the user away as long as the IP lease will end. When the computer receives a new IP, or after a flush dns, the user will be back.

> > Having the IP is not an exact method to identify a person either. Some times the lease information is not correct, and laws prevent a company to get an identity of an account owner. Otherwise it would be possible contact the isp and filter away ANet for that particular user.. but there are too many "if" and "but" to make it possible.

> >

> > Using IP ban is bad practise. Next month I might get that IP and be unable to play.

> > There should be better methods.

>

> They can still ban the actual account even delete it to prevent it from ever being reused again.

That they could. Ban the account or add a client id, if the first setup adds like a client id in a system file or in the registry, that client id could be traced to the user. Only way to get a new client id would be reinstalling the whole OS. Installing Windows, drivers and all the applications from scratch would be very time consuming.

Edit: Just got another idea, but I'm not sure if it's legal. If the setup will read the unique id from the Graphics adapter (in most cases, more expensive than the motherboard). Bind that ID to a client ID that is stored at ANet's database. In that case, it wouldn't matter how many times you reinstall the computer. The user will have to buy a new graphics adapter to be able to play again, hopefully the banned adapter is an RTX 3090 or something...

Like @"Assyr.3296" said.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

>

No free to play isn't the problem like others is this problem is also in Wow also if you want to do anything serious in Gw2's pvp you need the add-ons. There are also no good solution for everything. Hacks can / should be fixed from Arena.NET . Really good bots are hard to identify and under p1 50-70%people are often mute and seems to know no strategy are bots ? I don't know. With cheats it is similar with that many gimmicks in the game its really hard when you suddenly get a cc pull! skills when you fighting a healbreaker where does it come from ? from the trapper dh (which I don't see at that point) who know?

While we dont have premade groups in ranked I think we should at least allow to search for roles so you could at least filter a bit. The other things is that people could watch running games I have the vague idea that pvp get cut into realms and people pay for realms and then mange them basically like fps in the olds days.

> @"Smoosh.2718" said:

>

Or just perma ban acc, instead of 2 days LOL

+ my friend got forced namechange cuz inaprotiate char name (so anet does something about it)

> @"Filip.7463" said:

> > @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> > Sadly the rise in cheaters isnt exclusive to just Gw2. Realworld punishments should be put into the terms and conditions for the act of cheating tbh. This and only this will stop people from cheating. Make it financial. Get caught, get fined.

> >

> > All game companies go under the basis that you get caught, you get banned. The banned user creates a new account and cheats again. Nothing stops the cheater with this method.

>

> Or just perma ban acc, instead of 2 days LOL

>

> + my friend got forced namechange cuz inaprotiate char name (so anet does something about it)

You see this is the issue. They are quick to act on anything that involves words. Call someone a F or a R and things blow up, instant action is taken. report someone for actually cheating and ruining the game, nothing is done for months and months on end.

> @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> > @"Filip.7463" said:

> > > @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> > > Sadly the rise in cheaters isnt exclusive to just Gw2. Realworld punishments should be put into the terms and conditions for the act of cheating tbh. This and only this will stop people from cheating. Make it financial. Get caught, get fined.

> > >

> > > All game companies go under the basis that you get caught, you get banned. The banned user creates a new account and cheats again. Nothing stops the cheater with this method.

> >

> > Or just perma ban acc, instead of 2 days LOL

> >

> > + my friend got forced namechange cuz inaprotiate char name (so anet does something about it)

>

> You see this is the issue. They are quick to act on anything that involves words. Call someone a F or a R and things blow up, instant action is taken. report someone for actually cheating and ruining the game, nothing is done for months and months on end.

I think are equally bad for the game, same as shaming. Lots of people love this game for the experience with all the kind players here. We help each other and keep a good mood.

Shaming feels like the opposite, even when we have evidence.

I also want to believe that it's better to find undisputable proof that someone uses a bot or has hacked the game, instead of punishing all reported players because a screenshot says it all or "it's obvious". That would force us players to prove our innocence, which I think is wrong.