best way to get Obsidian Shard

so I got most my components rdy for craft, was gonna purchase Obsidian Shard from karma vendor, but Tactician Deathstrider only available after Temple of Balthazar event. so what time this event occur and does ppl do this event anymore?

what are the other quick/easy way to get some Shards?

I don't have much unbound/violate magic, was gonna save up to buy trinket(or best way to farm these magic). which is way I was gonna use karma to buy the shard.

the event is not on a specific schedule which leaves you to a)try to organize the [event chain](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_of_Balthazar "event chain") yourself, b)try your luck another day/time or c)wait there till someone does the events.

I wouldn't spend any other currency on obsidian shards than karma. As an alternative the Silverwastes chestfarm used to give obsidian shards as well as plenty of other loot.

Been a couple months since I last bought some from there, but quite regularly upon entering map the temple was under pact control. Just check in throughout the day when you're able. Plenty of others with tonnes of karma obtain obsidian shards through the same method, so there'll always be those with incentive to complete the event.

**Silverwastes farm** is numero uno: not only do you have a chance at getting shards from the buried chests, but you can also purchase them for map currency.

**Auric Basin** is a second favourite of mine: I'm always swimming in map currency because I like to do the meta daily, and the cost per token is cheaper in terms of Karma than buying them for raw Karma at the Orr temple.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> **Auric Basin** is a second favourite of mine: I'm always swimming in map currency because I like to do the meta daily, and the cost per token is cheaper in terms of Karma than buying them for raw Karma at the Orr temple.

Hadn't thought of that, I'm in the same boat. Who sells them there? The big guy outside the hole?

The best time to purchase them at the shrine in Orr is around the daily reset. I’ve seen it open, or people working on the meta, often around that time.

I use the HoT currency converter to get the shards primarily. I used to convert guild commendations except my guild became unreliable and took so long to do missions so I stopped bothering.

The usual peak-times are probably the best - around the daily reset on NA servers and about 2-6 hours before reset on EU servers.

If the temple isn't open check for people on the map doing the event chain, or check the LFG tool and if you still can't find anyone make your own group/listing and start on the events - people will join in.

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > **Auric Basin** is a second favourite of mine: I'm always swimming in map currency because I like to do the meta daily, and the cost per token is cheaper in terms of Karma than buying them for raw Karma at the Orr temple.

>

> Hadn't thought of that, I'm in the same boat. Who sells them there? The big guy outside the hole?

Exalted Mastery Vendor, yeh.

The best way depends a lot on the player. There are lots of sources. If you happen to be drowning in aurillium, AB vendors is "best," but if you're short on all currencies, then I agree with @"Oglaf.1074": Silverwastes.

Still, if you have a ton of karma, then buy at the Balthazar temple. Someone is almost always cleansing it near reset. (And it's no longer that hard to organize the chain these days, given the power-creep in the game relative to the mobs static abilities.) Can probably be done with a mere 8-10 people. In the long run — if you have the karma — that's going to be the most efficient use of your time.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The best way depends a lot on the player. There are lots of sources. If you happen to be drowning in aurillium, AB vendors is "best," but if you're short on all currencies, then I agree with @"Oglaf.1074": Silverwastes.

>

> Still, if you have a ton of karma, then buy at the Balthazar temple. Someone is almost always cleansing it near reset. (And it's no longer that hard to organize the chain these days, given the power-creep in the game relative to the mobs static abilities.) Can probably be done with a mere 8-10 people. In the long run — if you have the karma — that's going to be the most efficient use of your time.

I have to disagree. If you have any map currency to spare on any of the HoT maps, you'll get more Shards for your Karma there.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> I have to disagree. If you have any map currency to spare on any of the HoT maps, you'll get more Shards for your Karma there.

I suspect that fewer people have "any map currency to spare" than most of us realize.

To get a stack of obsidian costs:

* 5.25k karma, bought in Orr

* 2.625 karma bought in HoTlandia, but also requires 6250 local currency.

I never have 6k of local HoT currencies, except AB/aurillium, and that generally gets used for other purposes.

That is, mathematically, you're quite correct: you get double the obbi for your karma using local currencies. The problem is usually that those who don't already have a stack of obbi via whatever means aren't likely to have tons & tons of local shekels.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> Karma is the fastest way, but the most cost-efficient way to me is, was and will be silverwastes chestfarming. Use all magic find boosters, join a chestfarming map and you will get a lot!

does silverwaste farming require magic find to get more chest? or it only affect chest item when its Opened?

unfortunately i'm not swim in HoT currency or has a lot unbound magic, though I have enough karma to buy all the shard I need(except several Ive been there, the WP is contested). wish its not account bound so I can buy off from TP.

ill try the map during reset

> @"weaponwh.9810" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > Karma is the fastest way, but the most cost-efficient way to me is, was and will be silverwastes chestfarming. Use all magic find boosters, join a chestfarming map and you will get a lot!

>

> does silverwaste farming require magic find to get more chest? or it only affect chest item when its Opened?

>

> unfortunately i'm not swim in HoT currency or has a lot unbound magic, though I have enough karma to buy all the shard I need(except several Ive been there, the WP is contested). wish its not account bound so I can buy off from TP.

>

> ill try the map during reset

Magic find affects the rarity of items you get when opening the chest. Number of chests is fixed per run. Happy farming!