Nothing World Cup Related - Not even a gem store scarf :(

Allthough greatest sporting event is debatable that would mean Nobel prize items when it's announce and some music related items during the Grammys not too mention some western ware during Calgary Stampede being the greatest outdoor Show on Earth. See why would anet cater to just one social aspect like sports even if it's one of the biggest event of that aspect, what about science, music, fashion and environment? You don't see environment activist asking for in game items every Earth day, they would prefer you don't use electricity that day anyway.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is there's 2 reasons:

1) Why would they market someone else's 'product' for free? Especially since they may need to pay for permission to use World Cup branding. (And especially since, in a sense, they're competing. Admittedly I often watch TV while playing GW2 but I imagine for a lot of people time spent watching sports is time they're not playing games and vice versa.)

2) It has absolutely nothing to do with GW2. Real world events don't impact the game world, so it would be very out of place. They could do some sort of mimic-event if they wanted to, but then we're back into using other people's branding.

But there's nothing stopping you dressing your character up in your teams colours, or some approximation of a football/fan uniform to celebrate in-game. Maybe get your guild involved if they're into it?

> @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> who cares about soccer? This is GW2

> And im Brazilian...

Nothing more to say here B)

You'd think that as a German, I'd be interested in my fellow countrymen defending that title, but honestly, they're not exactly in a good shape, are they?

Just look at that test game vs Saudi-Arabia...

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> 23 adult men running after a ball and you call that a sport?

> that's a kids game, nothing more.

Even worse, you'd suspect that each of them could afford a ball of their own, given how much they are paid; but NO! :#

If we're going to be bringing real life stuff in, I would humbly request a Donald Trump Hair headpiece skin. It is his birthday today after all.

Or how about we leave all of the real life stuff out of the game, some soccer tournament (or any sporting event for that matter) doesn't merit anything special.

> @"thehipone.6812" said:

> If we're going to be bringing real life stuff in, I would humbly request a Donald Trump Hair headpiece skin. It is his birthday today after all.

>

> Or how about we leave all of the real life stuff out of the game, some soccer tournament (or any sporting event for that matter) doesn't merit anything special.

oh how I wish Anet kept real life stuff out of the game

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> The only cup that matters is one you drink out of.

>

> And i don't see Lord Stanley anywhere in GW2 so why should soccer get preferential treatment ?

Maybe hockey isn't the 'biggest' sport in the world. It is, however, the greatest!

Anet puts in enough stuff already with ties to real world things. We don't need any tied to a specific sporting event.

> @"Blockhead Magee.3092" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > The only cup that matters is one you drink out of.

> >

> > And i don't see Lord Stanley anywhere in GW2 so why should soccer get preferential treatment ?

>

> Maybe hockey isn't the 'biggest' sport in the world. It is, however, the greatest!

>

> Anet puts in enough stuff already with ties to real world things. We don't need any tied to a specific sporting event.

I would buy gems with real money to get a hockey stick staff or hammer skin.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > I'd prefer if they had something for Wrestlemania. lol

> >

> > You'd have a point if any sports event had cash shop items but they don't.

>

> The belt even fits with some of the Norn design from GW1 ...

That's wrestling for you. Two guys without pants fighting over a belt. lol

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > I'd prefer if they had something for Wrestlemania. lol

> > >

> > > You'd have a point if any sports event had cash shop items but they don't.

> >

> > The belt even fits with some of the Norn design from GW1 ...

>

> That's wrestling for you. Two guys without pants fighting over a belt. lol

At least they aren't tackling each other over a quarter

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Blockhead Magee.3092" said:

> > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > The only cup that matters is one you drink out of.

> > >

> > > And i don't see Lord Stanley anywhere in GW2 so why should soccer get preferential treatment ?

> >

> > Maybe hockey isn't the 'biggest' sport in the world. It is, however, the greatest!

> >

> > Anet puts in enough stuff already with ties to real world things. We don't need any tied to a specific sporting event.

>

> I would buy gems with real money to get a hockey stick staff or hammer skin.

A hockey stick staff/hammer or baseball bat mace would fit in much easier.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> 23 adult men running after a ball and you call that a sport?

> that's a kids game, nothing more.

I can recreate an equivalent of this statement for just about any sport. Also, calling any sport a "kids game" on whilst being on Gw2 forums is an irony.

Not that I enjoy football myself, couldn't care less about it.

Just take a moment to imagine football being played on Tyria.

The human team walks onto the field, confident that they'll win. In the captain's hands is carried a ball, made by the best craftsman in Divinity's Reach.

Then the charr team enters from the other side. A few of them snarl at the crowd, making it clear that they'd rather fight than kick a ball. Their captain also carries a ball, one covered in patches to cover the holes punched into it by charr foot claws. The game begins once the ref convinces the charr team that their outfits can not have spikes on them.

Later, the sylvari take on the norn. At first it seems like the sylvari are actually going to win this one, they function as a team while all the norn try to grandstand and be the star of the game. It's only when one norn gets the ball down to the goal, and kicks it so hard that it carries both itself and the goalie into the net that the sylvari realize how this will really play out.

The asura drop out when they discover that not only can they NOT use golems during the match, but that one of their Inquest supporters was betting heavily on them losing.

And in the end, the trophy goes to the skritt team, despite objections that the mind link means they have only one player.