So about that 12 minute Meta

They really thought it was a good idea to have ONE stage of a meta last 12 entire minutes and your only reward is one chest? The npc's don't even drop loot.

It's so long and un rewarding most people just AFK the entire time until it's over. They really need to change the reward for it or make the npc's drop something.

Well I believe the reward is that we defend the keep, eventually being able to push back into enemy territory. In Mechanical terms that is; the reward is we're able to progress the meta further. However, there is basically little threat of the minions of the Fraenir taking over the Raven Shrines and defeating us, so yes it does become rather boring, especially that first 10 minute period. And resultantly, there is no sense of satisfaction or reward at all when that event succeeds, as we literally can do the bare minimum to progress it.

It's not an overly engaging meta by any stretch, but for the most part I think it's exposes some imbalances in the scaling method that is seemingly being used of late.

Now this is a bit of a tangent, but there are some great mechanic themes in some (many) of the raid bosses in the game. I really wish Development would use some of these as inspiration for large overland PvE meta/events.

Are we talking about the defense of the keep meta?

I've only done it once and the first stage was the most boring thing ever. It never felt urgent, it never felt dangerous. I'm not even sure the enemy did anything. I mean yeah some bosses was running around but they literally did not accomplish a thing even when we failed to kill them before they arrived at the shrine and did... something to no effect. What is *supposed* to happen?

The second stage was more interesting, but still just hammering yet another boss.

(wait I just remembered there was that stage between too which was... hammering yet another stationary object)

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> Someone pointed out in chat today that first twelve minutes is jormag trying to lull you to sleep . . .

I wonder... if we all type /sleep at the start, will the mobs ignore us and go home? Or maybe we'll get carried away by the svanir to another meta?

It's dull. I thought that we'd moved on from these drawn out defend phases from the core game.

5 minutes is long enough. That's about the limit that an _exciting_ defence phase can be and still remain entertaining, a dull defence phase that lasts longer than that will just encourage people to skip the phase and join at the end.

Beating on the inanimate objects in the ballista phase is not interesting either.

Does the Icebrood construct attack players?

I actually enjoy every part of the meta. Feels more "down to Earth" than most stuff, it's not as hectic and still requires teamwork. A nice change of pace.

I only wish the Svanir bombs had a larger impact. Most people don't care to kill the bomb carrier in time and don't even notice that, if they don't stop him, he will plant a bomb - a bomb that does little to nothing to make the meta fail when not taken care of in time. They even chase after the bomber _after_ the bomb has been planted, completely ignoring the bomb and the whole context of the Veteran Svanir Bomber's purpose in this meta.

Please, ANet, if you have the resources, make that part more impactful.

It needs to feel it could fail.

- The border stuff they wanted to make more claustrophobic and excite a level of anxiety. It doesn't - it just annoys (me). It clutters and adds nothing to the fights

- The bombers need to be a genuine threat. Not only do they almost always die before letting down a bomb, the bomb can then be destroyed anyway

- The boss needs to be a threat. It appear, it walks, it falls apart, it dies. Nothing happens.

Almost would have been better to combine the defence phases with the boss for one giant event. Then you have decisions to be made and separate groups to form. Whilst the Svanir attack, you need to have groups defending the shrines, keeping the power going, building siege, taking down portals and a group trying to hook the boss and keep it back for as long as possible before everyone then piles in when the rest is done. It could have defiance whilst the defence is up so all you can do is keep it hooked to slow it down. Less chains, the faster it walks so you have an incentive to keep people on it.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> I actually enjoy every part of the meta. Feels more "down to Earth" than most stuff, it's not as hectic and still requires teamwork. A nice change of pace.

>

> I only wish the Svanir bombs had a larger impact. Most people don't care to kill the bomb carrier in time and don't even notice that, if they don't stop him, he will plant a bomb - a bomb that does little to nothing to make the meta fail when not taken care of in time. They even chase after the bomber _after_ the bomb has been planted, completely ignoring the bomb and the whole context of the Veteran Svanir Bomber's purpose in this meta.

>

> Please, ANet, if you have the resources, make that part more impactful.

Well, it _is_ an "ice bomb" in an area that's already pretty icy. The effect is sort of like planting a stink bomb at a college dorm the morning after a chili cook-off. Nobody's gonna notice the difference.

Not too bright, these Sons of Svanir. As we ourselves observe in Bitterfrost, they're not the sharpest icicles on the roof. :D

It is not a reward issue. It is a DIFFICULTY AND BOREDOM issue. It could be the best meta in the world with multiple bosses and things to do, to be actively engaged and the rewards would be fine. But for the fact the meta is like joko portal invasions in current event metas (that happen on starter maps) is the problem. BOOOOOORING. I mean, you stand there and the getting frozen thing is like well you can punch yourself out and there are movs pouring in , one key thing is to just kill bombers, and to hit chains on the last boss that does 0 dmg other than walk like the pinata to its destination. Oooooof. Thats where my problem lies. Not about the loot.

> @"wrathmagik.3518" said:

> They really thought it was a good idea to have ONE stage of a meta last 12 entire minutes and your only reward is one chest? The npc's don't even drop loot.

>

> It's so long and un rewarding most people just AFK the entire time until it's over. They really need to change the reward for it or make the npc's drop something.

I would be okay if the mobs just gave experience. They don't give experience to work on masteries either.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> Are we talking about the defense of the keep meta?

>

> I've only done it once and the first stage was the most boring thing ever. It never felt urgent, it never felt dangerous. I'm not even sure the enemy did anything. I mean yeah some bosses was running around but they literally did not accomplish a thing even when we failed to kill them before they arrived at the shrine and did... something to no effect. What is *supposed* to happen?

>

> The second stage was more interesting, but still just hammering yet another boss.

>

> (wait I just remembered there was that stage between too which was... hammering yet another stationary object)

The only threat the enemy presents is when you allow too many to stand inside the circle for the raven shrines.

> @"Kameko.8314" said:

> It is not a reward issue. It is a DIFFICULTY AND BOREDOM issue. It could be the best meta in the world with multiple bosses and things to do, to be actively engaged and the rewards would be fine. But for the fact the meta is like joko portal invasions in current event metas (that happen on starter maps) is the problem. BOOOOOORING. I mean, you stand there and the getting frozen thing is like well you can punch yourself out and there are movs pouring in , one key thing is to just kill bombers, and to hit chains on the last boss that does 0 dmg other than walk like the pinata to its destination. Oooooof. Thats where my problem lies. Not about the loot.

Heh people have asking for LS1 to be brought back into the game, this can be considered a spiritual successor to those boring invasion events from LS1

summary from me:

nice meta, based on story part,

also fine that don't have "magic" splil to 2h events

BUT

Only one thing is VERY BAD. Dot you know how to frozen screen looks on 14" notebook screen ???

I have more space on mobile phone ..

May be this should be redesign to debuf small icon like others??, but not steal half screen ?

> @"Airdive.2613" said:

> I think you're supposed to rotate camps to build up all 3 essence buffs as well as 25 (was it?) stacks of bonus magic find before the next event.

I think this is it. But since the essence buffs are unnecessary to success, I feel like most players just don't bother with them. And if they were necessary to success everyone would be frustrated at each other for not doing it right. Would still probably make it more fun though . . .

> @"reapex.8546" said:

> > @"wrathmagik.3518" said:

> > They really thought it was a good idea to have ONE stage of a meta last 12 entire minutes and your only reward is one chest? The npc's don't even drop loot.

> >

> > It's so long and un rewarding most people just AFK the entire time until it's over. They really need to change the reward for it or make the npc's drop something.

>

> I would be okay if the mobs just gave experience. They don't give experience to work on masteries either.

They give experience to me just no loot at all.

It's really not that bad at all. You're basically getting 40-50 ice shards for like 15min work. On top of your daily rifts, essence chests, norn chests, nodes you can get 150-180 shards by doing 1 meta and 1 map clear.

It's a very casual, chilled meta with decent rewards overall - make sure you attack more than one area in the second last phase though.

I haven't played a LW map this much in a LONG time, and in fact it fits nicely in the :35 time slots to weave into major metas. Today is the first day we had multiple maps doing it.

Those saying it will be dead in 2 weeks don't realize this map is a great source for trading for LW4 currency. I think it will still be popular until the next map. I will be doing it every day, that's for sure.

> @"Jayden Reese.9542" said:

> Once you realize the bombs do no damage, closing the portals don't matter you really don't have to actively do anything. It is a waste of time so half spend the first 6m afk and the other half spend the last 6 afk if ya want

If ain’t instant reward players won’t like it lol.... even if it was insta t players would complain it would lack