GW2 mobile

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > Everyone is out to make money, but phone games are worse than most in the category of trying to get free money from consumers, no thanks. I don't take any company that moves to mobile that serious since I know they are in it to make a quick sell and then they are out. As an addendum to a game, maybe, as a game, no.

> >

> > Between GW2 and FGO, I'd say GW2 is the significantly bigger cash grab.

> >

>

Don't mobile game so I don't know what FGO is. But a Google hit lead to this:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/18/17247246/fate-go-free-to-play-abuse-gudako-gacho-grand-order

Again, all I see from Mobile is blatant gimmicks. No thanks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > > Everyone is out to make money, but phone games are worse than most in the category of trying to get free money from consumers, no thanks. I don't take any company that moves to mobile that serious since I know they are in it to make a quick sell and then they are out. As an addendum to a game, maybe, as a game, no.

> > >

> > > Between GW2 and FGO, I'd say GW2 is the significantly bigger cash grab.

> > >

> >

>

>

> Don't mobile game so I don't know what FGO is. But a Google hit lead to this:

>

> https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/18/17247246/fate-go-free-to-play-abuse-gudako-gacho-grand-order

>

> Again, all I see from Mobile is blatant gimmicks. No thanks.

If thats the game then I can not agree with Fueki.4753 at all, about gw2 being the bigger crashgrab.

> @"Donutdude.9582" said:

> No.

>

> A game like Guild Wars simply wouldn't work on a mobile platform. The in-depth combat system combined with the current movement techniques would be far too much to handle.

>

> Mobile gaming has its place for certain genres but I do not feel that MMORPGs have a place amongst them.

Black Desert Mobile one of the most succesfull mobile games ever, in terms of pfo much more succesfull than the pc Version. And it isnt even global yet. Welcome in the Mobile world, cash rules

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > Thank you, no. Mobile gaming is all about the drug deal. Take the first hit is free. No mobile gaming is for the games that are truly out to get you 50 cent at a time. Its a replacement for the arcade where each game was 25 cents. I can see it as an addendum to the real game, but never as the full game. Any game that dumbs it self down to be mobile should never have any money spent on it.

> >

> > Do you have any idea how much money some of the top FREE games are making? We are talking about billions of dollars so please do some researches man...lol

>

> Yes, I do, why did you think I would use drug deal in my statement.

>

> Everyone is out to make money, but phone games are worse than most in the category of trying to get free money from consumers, no thanks. I don't take any company that moves to mobile that serious since I know they are in it to make a quick sell and then they are out. As an addendum to a game, maybe, as a game, no.

So that means you don't touch Square Enix games since they have mobile versions of Final Fantasy, and NCSoft's biggest source of income now is their mobile division, to say nothing of Tencent....or Activision/Blizzard(after their purchase of the makers of Candy Crush)? Having said that, and even though Randulf didn't want to commit to it, one of the things that was scrapped when all development on new products was cancelled way back when was a mobile version of something GW related(hence the reason they'd advertised for programmers with knowledge of mobile gaming in the past). The answer to the OP though is a definitive NO!

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> I don't have a phone, right.

Fun fact I don't :P

And I never will own a smart phone either.

I hate them, I hate the culture around them, I hate that society has turned into some zombie apocalypse because of them, I hate that they are one of the most successful mediums for exploiting people financially and socially, I hate that so many companies are giving up on making good games in favour of cheap cashgraps that just exploit people, I hate the addictions they have driven people to, I hate how they've effectively destroyed privacy and are bordeline no different now than having a microchip implant, I hate how you can't even access some services without them.

They are one of the worst things to happen to the modern century imo.. a prime example of bad, easily exploitable technological convinience going too far.

And I typically love technology, specially computers.. but Smart Phones, those things need to go.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > I don't have a phone, right.

>

> Fun fact I don't :P

> And I never will own a smart phone either.

> I hate them, I hate the culture around them, I hate that society has turned into some zombie apocalypse because of them, I hate that they are one of the most successful mediums for exploiting people financially and socially, I hate that so many companies are giving up on making good games in favour of cheap cashgraps that just exploit people, I hate the addictions they have driven people to, I hate how they've effectively destroyed privacy and are bordeline no different now than having a microchip implant, I hate how you can't even access some services without them.

>

> They are one of the worst things to happen to the modern century imo.. a prime example of bad, easily exploitable technological convinience going too far.

>

> And I typically love technology, specially computers.. but Smart Phones, those things need to go.

You could just use it as a phone or for SMS you know, you dont have to install games or rant on twitter. You can hate it all you want, it aint going away. This is akin to hating that smoke puffing noise making horse scaring self propelled combustion engine powered death cart.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > > I don't have a phone, right.

> >

> > Fun fact I don't :P

> > And I never will own a smart phone either.

> > I hate them, I hate the culture around them, I hate that society has turned into some zombie apocalypse because of them, I hate that they are one of the most successful mediums for exploiting people financially and socially, I hate that so many companies are giving up on making good games in favour of cheap cashgraps that just exploit people, I hate the addictions they have driven people to, I hate how they've effectively destroyed privacy and are bordeline no different now than having a microchip implant, I hate how you can't even access some services without them.

> >

> > They are one of the worst things to happen to the modern century imo.. a prime example of bad, easily exploitable technological convinience going too far.

> >

> > And I typically love technology, specially computers.. but Smart Phones, those things need to go.

> You could just use it as a phone or for SMS you know, you dont have to install games or rant on twitter. You can hate it all you want, it aint going away. This is akin to hating that smoke puffing noise making horse scaring self propelled combustion engine powered death cart.

That would be like buying a gaming laptop to use calculator app when I could just buy a calculator XD

You're right though it's not going away nor do I expect it to, but it not going to create a good future either..

Take gaming as a prime example and the crappy cashgrab mobile gaming trends that are already bleeding into mainstream gaming, give it 15 years maybe and games like Gw2 will be unrecognizable from what is "industry standard" for this future time.

It'll pretty much be all cashgrab games built around exploitative monitization practices with subfees on top, all games will be digital, "consoles" will be phones docked into Tv's and many of us now defined old school gamers will pretty much no longer be supporting the industry anymore.

I'm just glad I spent the last 30+ years collecing physical games, consoles etc.

At least I'll be able to continue gaming when this gaming industry effectively dies in favour of the cashgrab industry.

Really makes me facepalm whenever I see someone opining that because mobile games make a lot of money, PC and/or console games are obsolete and all gaming will become mobile.

They. Are. Different.

Really. They serve different audiences with completely different types of games and gaming experiences that are not interchangeable. The kind of person who wants to play a PC MMORPG is not going to find the same enjoyment in a "tap the screen" phone game. It's like arguing that because comic books exist, no one will write novels anymore. Tabletop games didn't go away because video games were invented; if anything they're more popular now than ever. PC gaming will always have a niche because you can't create an immersive experience on a phone. There will always be a group of gamers that want to settle in with huge screens and big sound and get lost in the world for their gaming time instead of tilting their phone around on the bus.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > > Thank you, no. Mobile gaming is all about the drug deal. Take the first hit is free. No mobile gaming is for the games that are truly out to get you 50 cent at a time. Its a replacement for the arcade where each game was 25 cents. I can see it as an addendum to the real game, but never as the full game. Any game that dumbs it self down to be mobile should never have any money spent on it.

> > >

> > > Do you have any idea how much money some of the top FREE games are making? We are talking about billions of dollars so please do some researches man...lol

> >

> > Yes, I do, why did you think I would use drug deal in my statement.

> >

> > Everyone is out to make money, but phone games are worse than most in the category of trying to get free money from consumers, no thanks. I don't take any company that moves to mobile that serious since I know they are in it to make a quick sell and then they are out. As an addendum to a game, maybe, as a game, no.

>

> So that means you don't touch Square Enix games since they have mobile versions of Final Fantasy, and NCSoft's biggest source of income now is their mobile division, to say nothing of Tencent....or Activision/Blizzard(after their purchase of the makers of Candy Crush)? Having said that, and even though Randulf didn't want to commit to it, one of the things that was scrapped when all development on new products was cancelled way back when was a mobile version of something GW related(hence the reason they'd advertised for programmers with knowledge of mobile gaming in the past). The answer to the OP though is a definitive NO!

You are correct, I do not support any gaming that is just pure mobile. It's simple, you either support the trend to dumb down games or you don't. I don't. Its funny we went from PCs ($1000) are too expensive to platform games ($250-750) , from cell phones that would cost you $50 to smartphones that now cost $1000. If Arenanet had a mobile only game, wouldn't touch it, nor support or fund it. Again its up to the gamer to decide if they want in on the drug deal.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> And I never will own a smart phone either.

> I hate them, I hate the culture around them, I hate that society has turned into some zombie apocalypse because of them, I hate that they are one of the most successful mediums for exploiting people financially and socially, I hate that so many companies are giving up on making good games in favour of cheap cashgraps that just exploit people, I hate the addictions they have driven people to, I hate how they've effectively destroyed privacy and are bordeline no different now than having a microchip implant, I hate how you can't even access some services without them.

>

> They are one of the worst things to happen to the modern century imo.. a prime example of bad, easily exploitable technological convinience going too far.

>

> And I typically love technology, specially computers.. but Smart Phones, those things need to go.

im on the same boat.

Instead of a mobile game, I think a mobile companion app would be nice. It would enhance what we already have and could include such features as:

*Text chat with guildmates in game, see who's on (good for those not running Discord).

* Shopping in the gem store or browsing the trading post. View your sales etc, no selling.

* Character viewer. See and view your gear. Modify your colors. Edit your build templates and/or link them in chat. Basic hero panel support. Get ready for the big event when you get home. Choose when to apply or revert the changes.

* Read and reply to game mail (no items or gold).

* Game mail archive, text only.

* A calendar feature for planned events or raids with location and item link support. Combine this with the Discord app and you have everything you need to keep in touch.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > > > I don't have a phone, right.

> > >

> > > Fun fact I don't :P

> > > And I never will own a smart phone either.

> > > I hate them, I hate the culture around them, I hate that society has turned into some zombie apocalypse because of them, I hate that they are one of the most successful mediums for exploiting people financially and socially, I hate that so many companies are giving up on making good games in favour of cheap cashgraps that just exploit people, I hate the addictions they have driven people to, I hate how they've effectively destroyed privacy and are bordeline no different now than having a microchip implant, I hate how you can't even access some services without them.

> > >

> > > They are one of the worst things to happen to the modern century imo.. a prime example of bad, easily exploitable technological convinience going too far.

> > >

> > > And I typically love technology, specially computers.. but Smart Phones, those things need to go.

> > You could just use it as a phone or for SMS you know, you dont have to install games or rant on twitter. You can hate it all you want, it aint going away. This is akin to hating that smoke puffing noise making horse scaring self propelled combustion engine powered death cart.

>

> That would be like buying a gaming laptop to use calculator app when I could just buy a calculator XD

Which is an absolutely brilliant example.

You could buy a calculator, yes. And then you have to carry it with you. All the time, in your pocket. What if someone asks what 285x192+482/0.45 is and you *forgot* the calculator? What a disaster! Are you going to pull up pen and paper? You forgot a pen!!!

Well... phones have calculators. And you always carry a phone.

**Humanity evolved.**

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > > > > I don't have a phone, right.

> > > >

> > > > Fun fact I don't :P

> > > > And I never will own a smart phone either.

> > > > I hate them, I hate the culture around them, I hate that society has turned into some zombie apocalypse because of them, I hate that they are one of the most successful mediums for exploiting people financially and socially, I hate that so many companies are giving up on making good games in favour of cheap cashgraps that just exploit people, I hate the addictions they have driven people to, I hate how they've effectively destroyed privacy and are bordeline no different now than having a microchip implant, I hate how you can't even access some services without them.

> > > >

> > > > They are one of the worst things to happen to the modern century imo.. a prime example of bad, easily exploitable technological convinience going too far.

> > > >

> > > > And I typically love technology, specially computers.. but Smart Phones, those things need to go.

> > > You could just use it as a phone or for SMS you know, you dont have to install games or rant on twitter. You can hate it all you want, it aint going away. This is akin to hating that smoke puffing noise making horse scaring self propelled combustion engine powered death cart.

> >

> > That would be like buying a gaming laptop to use calculator app when I could just buy a calculator XD

> You could buy a calculator, yes. And then you have to carry it with you. All the time, in your pocket. What if someone asks what 285x192+482/0.45 is and you *forgot* the calculator? What a disaster! Are you going to pull up pen and paper? You forgot a pen!!!

>

> Well... phones have calculators. And you always carry a phone.

>

Well pretty much every phone has a calculator, even those 20 years old or so but that wasn't the point.

The point was spending excessive amounts of money on a more annoying to use multipurpose device to use basic common features you can get on most other phones that cost almost nothing by comparison.

You're mostly paying for features you'll never use, hardware you'll never need and a brand name that greatly overvalues itself.

What Smartphones cost to make is significantly less that what they charge you when you buy them.. they're typically sold for 3-4 times their production cost at minimum and often when new models are released older ones get updates that deliberately hamper their performance to force you to buy another phone.. Apple is one of several phone manufacturers that has been caught doing this.

They are in every sense of the word.. a Ripoff.. as are the vast majority of games that are made for them, If people want better phones and better games then this is not a business practice that should be encouraged.

> @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

>

> > @"Darkwolf.6837" said:

> > > @"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:

> > > With the mobile game community growing I was wondering if we are gonna get GW2 mobile???

> > > Would be nice to have GW2M... anyone have any info about this?

> > >

> > > Thanks

> >

> > Two questions:

> >

> > 1. Why would you want a purposely cut-down version of the game? Mobile gaming inherently forces simpler mechanics, controls, and game design compared to the existing PC version.

> > 2. Why would Arenanet want to put the resources required to remake the entire game from ground up for said cut-down version? They were recently down-sized and are already dealing with the perception of having trouble putting out "enough" fulfilling content for the current game.

>

> I was simply suggesting that since BDO have mobile version available now and also D4 is coming on mobile device perhaps we can have GW3 on APP store (so you don’t have to worry about comparing with existing PC aversion). Hopefully ANet won’t make the same mistake like Riot that refuses to make mobile version until it’s too late. As far as I know nobody is complaining or comparing BDOM with BDO. Making a mobile version of the game simply allows the game to attract more types of players.

>

> As for your questions... Any smart company would know mobile market is where the money is now. Not everyone owns a computer nowadays but everyone have a smart phone. ;) and if they listen to this advice maybe they won’t hav to be downsized. Yes the mobile version may be cut down version of the game but players gets to play the games anywhere they want. Either on the subway on their way home or during their lunch break... etc. Instead of having to wait all day until they’re done with school or work to sit in front of computer to play for few hrs before bed time.

>

> > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > Thank you, no. Mobile gaming is all about the drug deal. Take the first hit is free. No mobile gaming is for the games that are truly out to get you 50 cent at a time. Its a replacement for the arcade where each game was 25 cents. I can see it as an addendum to the real game, but never as the full game. Any game that dumbs it self down to be mobile should never have any money spent on it.

>

> Do you have any idea how much money some of the top FREE games are making? We are talking about billions of dollars so please do some researches man...lol

Do research yourself kid, mobile games are cash grabs pure and simple, and no they would not have avoided downsizing with a mobile cash grab. If you're a bad game dev and a sell-out, sure go mobile.

Farmville (aka mobile games) are not in the same league as actual games.

As mentioned previously, diablo immortal is a mobile game (diablo china rip-off), and diablo 4 is basically a rip-off of that coming to pc.

gw will not work as a mobile game

> @"GamerOnline.3650" said:

> Instead of a mobile game, I think a mobile companion app would be nice. It would enhance what we already have and could include such features as:

>

> *Text chat with guildmates in game, see who's on (good for those not running Discord).

> * Shopping in the gem store or browsing the trading post. View your sales etc, no selling.

> * Character viewer. See and view your gear. Modify your colors. Edit your build templates and/or link them in chat. Basic hero panel support. Get ready for the big event when you get home. Choose when to apply or revert the changes.

> * Read and reply to game mail (no items or gold).

> * Game mail archive, text only.

> * A calendar feature for planned events or raids with location and item link support. Combine this with the Discord app and you have everything you need to keep in touch.

This is different, good examples of complementary functions. Another way that mobile would fit are side games. Things you could do that add to your gaming experience but don't replace it. A guild wars card game where you could play against other players and AIs. A crafting app where you could craft while not in front of your PC. A mini-game that allows you to gather materials.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > > > > > I don't have a phone, right.

> > > > >

> > > > > Fun fact I don't :P

> > > > > And I never will own a smart phone either.

> > > > > I hate them, I hate the culture around them, I hate that society has turned into some zombie apocalypse because of them, I hate that they are one of the most successful mediums for exploiting people financially and socially, I hate that so many companies are giving up on making good games in favour of cheap cashgraps that just exploit people, I hate the addictions they have driven people to, I hate how they've effectively destroyed privacy and are bordeline no different now than having a microchip implant, I hate how you can't even access some services without them.

> > > > >

> > > > > They are one of the worst things to happen to the modern century imo.. a prime example of bad, easily exploitable technological convinience going too far.

> > > > >

> > > > > And I typically love technology, specially computers.. but Smart Phones, those things need to go.

> > > > You could just use it as a phone or for SMS you know, you dont have to install games or rant on twitter. You can hate it all you want, it aint going away. This is akin to hating that smoke puffing noise making horse scaring self propelled combustion engine powered death cart.

> > >

> > > That would be like buying a gaming laptop to use calculator app when I could just buy a calculator XD

> > You could buy a calculator, yes. And then you have to carry it with you. All the time, in your pocket. What if someone asks what 285x192+482/0.45 is and you *forgot* the calculator? What a disaster! Are you going to pull up pen and paper? You forgot a pen!!!

> >

> > Well... phones have calculators. And you always carry a phone.

> >

>

> Well pretty much every phone has a calculator, even those 20 years old or so but that wasn't the point.

> The point was spending excessive amounts of money on a more annoying to use multipurpose device to use basic common features you can get on most other phones that cost almost nothing by comparison.

> You're mostly paying for features you'll never use, hardware you'll never need and a brand name that greatly overvalues itself.

> What Smartphones cost to make is significantly less that what they charge you when you buy them.. they're typically sold for 3-4 times their production cost at minimum and often when new models are released older ones get updates that deliberately hamper their performance to force you to buy another phone.. Apple is one of several phone manufacturers that has been caught doing this.

>

> They are in every sense of the word.. a Ripoff.. as are the vast majority of games that are made for them, If people want better phones and better games then this is not a business practice that should be encouraged.

Uh... what do you think the machine you're typing this on cost to produce, compared to what they sold it for? The CPU alone is probably a 3x profit margin.

Unless you're sitting on an IBM Thinkpad 760 or something, which would not surprise me at this point. But then again that probably had an even bigger profit margin.

Smartphones in later years has actually become dirt cheap for the features they have... and also more expensive. It's just a wider spectrum. When I bought my iPhone 3Gs many, many years ago (only iPhone I've had) it cost the eqvivalent of $1000 to buy straight away if you didnt get a package deal (actually got a very sweet one from a new carrier). Today you can get a 100x better phone for $100.

But I digress. This thread was about GW2 mobile which I'm no allowed to talk about. It was a conspiracy theory.