Farming kralkatite ore - can this be made easier/quicker?

At the times I am playing, there are very few people trying to farm these meteorites. The mobs that spawn with the meteorite, in addition to the mobs that are already there (veteran awakened, in particular), mean that a rather large proportion of meteorite mining time is spent getting to the meteorite and then dealing with the mobs.

Could these events be improved by downscaling the mobs? I haven't noticed any extra popping up when there are five of us, compared to me alone.

Other alternatives that would improve quality of life are:

* removing the meteorites and adding in mining nodes

* increasing the ore drop rate from chests

* making the ore tradable on the TP, like the dust

* having the meteorites occur at fixed intervals

* reducing the time between meteorites

* enabling the ore to be recovered from salvaging PoF gear

There are two weapon collections that require the ore, on an underpopulated map (except when it's daily, but are the daily players coming to Istan to farm the meteorites?) When players arrive for the metas, they do the metas. I haven't noticed many - if any - of them are doing the meteorite events.

I know collections are optional (although part of the astral is required if the player is working towards Vision). But surely having players sit on a map to farm an event that occurs randomly about every 15-22 minutes, on a rather empty map, with mobs that cannot be avoided, isn't the intended outcome of these collections?

The stellar set requires roughly 8700 ore to finish, plus other BoA materials such as vision crystals. Making it a bit easier to get the ore is simply going to reduce the grind towards farming the ore. The major costs for the collection remain.

I agree, that the meteorite systems is currently quite broken, thanks to the map - and activity - being so underpopulated. I tend to miss most meteorites all together, as finding them takes it's own time and getting rid of the mobs is another undertaking, as you're usually doing it completely alone. Just when you're about to start looking for the nodes, the whole thing disappears, making you wait for 15-20 minutes for the next repeat.

It's quite frustrating, to be honest.

The meteorite system sucks: meteorite drops are too few and far in between, they last for a short amount of time so if you are not actually waiting/anticipating for one you will most likely arrive too late, and the yield is very low compared to doing a heart.

The heart at the Astralarium is actually really fast and easy to do, especially with a raptor. Start at the Waypoint, and clean the obelisks with the posters (8) jumping clockwise from obelisk to obelisk, then go one level down the stairs and do the same for the mirrors (8, also clockwise). You can actually one-jump from mirror to mirror over the railing if you are proficient with the raptor. :) (This is why I prefer the raptor over the jackal, since the jackal will not be able to jump over the railing.) Then drop all the way down in the garden and align 4 of those telescopes going counter clockwise, circling back to the heart NPC. (Please note that sometimes you have to click the telescope twice before it is aligned.) This will finish the heart. If you are proficient with the Raptor(fast mounting to avoid aggro from the angry priests, no mis-jumping) it can be done in less then 2 minutes. Even if you fumble and get occasional aggro from the priests(keep running, they lose interest fast), you will do it in less then 3 minutes. I had parked 10 alts there, getting 250 ore a day. I did not bother with the other hearts.

Even then, doing this with 10 Alts is still mindnumbingly boring, so be sure to put on some good music. :)

> @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> The meteorite system sucks: meteorite drops are too few and far in between, they last for a short amount of time so if you are not actually waiting/anticipating for one you will most likely arrive too late, and the yield is very low compared to doing a heart.

They can be heard when they are falling and they are also on a fixed timer so if you go do one you know when the next one will arrive.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > The meteorite system sucks: meteorite drops are too few and far in between, they last for a short amount of time so if you are not actually waiting/anticipating for one you will most likely arrive too late, and the yield is very low compared to doing a heart.

>

> They can be heard when they are falling and they are also on a fixed timer so if you go do one you know when the next one will arrive.

>

I know, if you anticipate you can catch one. :) The meteorites drop once every 15 minutes, which is a long wait if you are standing around at the top of the Astralarium which is the place that the wiki suggests, since there is no map-wide announcement. It does not say if you can see/hear the impact if you are not in that spot(you seem to suggest you can), but even then, when you are actually doing other stuff in Istan, chances are you are not focussed on that sound, and will miss it, unless you have timed the one before, and keep a timer running on your phone (fun!) And then you will have to find it with the tool or hope someone else marked it. More fun, especially because the meteorite will only last 5 minutes. Then you have to rush there, fight mobs and farm a whopping 5-20 Kralkatite Ore.

Repeat after 15 minutes which is a long time if you do not really want to be in Istan.

The Astralarium heart is so much easier to farm. Even if I only had 4 alts, I would prefer this. That is 10 minutes of work for 100 Ore(try my Raptor method, you will do it in less then 2.5 minutes per alt). Farming meteorites for the same amount will take you 75 minutes if you get max yield every time (no way).

> @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > > The meteorite system sucks: meteorite drops are too few and far in between, they last for a short amount of time so if you are not actually waiting/anticipating for one you will most likely arrive too late, and the yield is very low compared to doing a heart.

> >

> > They can be heard when they are falling and they are also on a fixed timer so if you go do one you know when the next one will arrive.

> >

>

> I know, if you anticipate you can catch one. :) The meteorites drop once every 15 minutes, which is a long wait if you are standing around at the top of the Astralarium which is the place that the wiki suggests, since there is no map-wide announcement. It does not say if you can see/hear the impact if you are not in that spot(you seem to suggest you can), but even then, when you are actually doing other stuff in Istan, chances are you are not focussed on that sound, and will miss it, unless you have timed the one before, and keep a timer running on your phone (fun!) And then you will have to find it with the tool or hope someone else marked it. More fun, especially because the meteorite will only last 5 minutes. Then you have to rush there, fight mobs and farm a whopping 5-20 Kralkatite Ore.

>

> Repeat after 15 minutes which is a long time if you do not really want to be in Istan.

>

> The Astralarium heart is so much easier to farm. Even if I only had 4 alts, I would prefer this. That is 10 minutes of work for 100 Ore(try my Raptor method, you will do it in less then 2.5 minutes per alt). Farming meteorites for the same amount will take you 75 minutes if you get max yield every time (no way).

>

>

I've timed the meteorites (notes on paper), they don't appear to be on an exact time lag. Sometimes the meteorite lands 15 minutes after the previous landed, sometimes it has been as long as 22 minutes. It works out to roughly 3 meteorites an hour. If there are 5 players who buff the landing site, I get 35 ore, about 20 dust, and normally a quartz from a landing. There tend to be fewer players than 5. This means less than 100, and typically less than 75, ore per hour. When it's only me doing the site, I get a lot of dragonite and hardly any dust or ore - sometimes less than 10 of each.

The 5-minute timer after landing is a problem. You have to find the site, and the tracker works semi-abysmally when in motion on a mount. I've had to stop mid-air to reorient, and in one case I overshot the landing site. I'm often the first person there, taking over a minute to get there. Then I have to clear the mobs that the meteorite creates, and multiple other mobs that are simply there as part of the normal map environment. Being hit by iboga, a veteran awakened, a dervish, plus multiple elementals takes a while to clear. In one case, I had the meteorite disappear because I spent so much time fighting mobs. This is not helped by an NPC coming into attack me, because I was killing another NPC that moved away from the site, only for it to start moving back to its original position while being invulnerable, during which I aggro other NPCs. Plus the confusion debuff from the meteorite site.

No other map creates such problems in gathering map currency. It is super easy to gather currency from nodes on other maps (e.g. Sandswept Isles) with all the mounts we have now, plus farming alts. Istan is the only map where this is painfully slow.

I've opened the Sunspear caches (about 1 ore per cache), plus the Palawadan and Great Hall events. Again, it's about 1 ore per chest.

Surely the ore gathering rate on this map isn't working as intended?

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> > @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > > > The meteorite system sucks: meteorite drops are too few and far in between, they last for a short amount of time so if you are not actually waiting/anticipating for one you will most likely arrive too late, and the yield is very low compared to doing a heart.

> > >

> > > They can be heard when they are falling and they are also on a fixed timer so if you go do one you know when the next one will arrive.

> > >

> >

> > I know, if you anticipate you can catch one. :) The meteorites drop once every 15 minutes, which is a long wait if you are standing around at the top of the Astralarium which is the place that the wiki suggests, since there is no map-wide announcement. It does not say if you can see/hear the impact if you are not in that spot(you seem to suggest you can), but even then, when you are actually doing other stuff in Istan, chances are you are not focussed on that sound, and will miss it, unless you have timed the one before, and keep a timer running on your phone (fun!) And then you will have to find it with the tool or hope someone else marked it. More fun, especially because the meteorite will only last 5 minutes. Then you have to rush there, fight mobs and farm a whopping 5-20 Kralkatite Ore.

> >

> > Repeat after 15 minutes which is a long time if you do not really want to be in Istan.

> >

> > The Astralarium heart is so much easier to farm. Even if I only had 4 alts, I would prefer this. That is 10 minutes of work for 100 Ore(try my Raptor method, you will do it in less then 2.5 minutes per alt). Farming meteorites for the same amount will take you 75 minutes if you get max yield every time (no way).

> >

> >

>

> I've timed the meteorites (notes on paper), they don't appear to be on an exact time lag. Sometimes the meteorite lands 15 minutes after the previous landed, sometimes it has been as long as 22 minutes. It works out to roughly 3 meteorites an hour. If there are 5 players who buff the landing site, I get 35 ore, about 20 dust, and normally a quartz from a landing. There tend to be fewer players than 5. This means less than 100, and typically less than 75, ore per hour. When it's only me doing the site, I get a lot of dragonite and hardly any dust or ore - sometimes less than 10 of each.

>

> The 5-minute timer after landing is a problem. You have to find the site, and the tracker works semi-abysmally when in motion on a mount. I've had to stop mid-air to reorient, and in one case I overshot the landing site. I'm often the first person there, taking over a minute to get there. Then I have to clear the mobs that the meteorite creates, and multiple other mobs that are simply there as part of the normal map environment. Being hit by iboga, a veteran awakened, a dervish, plus multiple elementals takes a while to clear. In one case, I had the meteorite disappear because I spent so much time fighting mobs. This is not helped by an NPC coming into attack me, because I was killing another NPC that moved away from the site, only for it to start moving back to its original position while being invulnerable, during which I aggro other NPCs. Plus the confusion debuff from the meteorite site.

>

> No other map creates such problems in gathering map currency. It is super easy to gather currency from nodes on other maps (e.g. Sandswept Isles) with all the mounts we have now, plus farming alts. Istan is the only map where this is painfully slow.

>

> I've opened the Sunspear caches (about 1 ore per cache), plus the Palawadan and Great Hall events. Again, it's about 1 ore per chest.

>

> Surely the ore gathering rate on this map isn't working as intended?

Excellent description of how the proces works, so it is even worse then I pictured it. :) I definitely agree that the system needs some serious tweaks, if it is ever going to compete with grinding Hearts with alts. It is a pity, because in all it could be a fun little feature.

More frequent meteorite drops, a map-wide announcement and do away with having to pin point the site could already alleviate a lot of problems. When more people are alerted and the site is easier to find, you can still leave the teamwork component in, like fighting mobs together and boost production.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> You know you can buy rose quartz from tp, right?

Yep, but you can't buy the ore. Doing the three hearts on that map daily gives 75 ore. For one weapon collection that requires almost 9000 ore, 75 ore a day isn't a particularly good method.

> @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > @"Hesione.9412" said:

> > > @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> > > > > The meteorite system sucks: meteorite drops are too few and far in between, they last for a short amount of time so if you are not actually waiting/anticipating for one you will most likely arrive too late, and the yield is very low compared to doing a heart.

> > > >

> > > > They can be heard when they are falling and they are also on a fixed timer so if you go do one you know when the next one will arrive.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I know, if you anticipate you can catch one. :) The meteorites drop once every 15 minutes, which is a long wait if you are standing around at the top of the Astralarium which is the place that the wiki suggests, since there is no map-wide announcement. It does not say if you can see/hear the impact if you are not in that spot(you seem to suggest you can), but even then, when you are actually doing other stuff in Istan, chances are you are not focussed on that sound, and will miss it, unless you have timed the one before, and keep a timer running on your phone (fun!) And then you will have to find it with the tool or hope someone else marked it. More fun, especially because the meteorite will only last 5 minutes. Then you have to rush there, fight mobs and farm a whopping 5-20 Kralkatite Ore.

> > >

> > > Repeat after 15 minutes which is a long time if you do not really want to be in Istan.

> > >

> > > The Astralarium heart is so much easier to farm. Even if I only had 4 alts, I would prefer this. That is 10 minutes of work for 100 Ore(try my Raptor method, you will do it in less then 2.5 minutes per alt). Farming meteorites for the same amount will take you 75 minutes if you get max yield every time (no way).

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I've timed the meteorites (notes on paper), they don't appear to be on an exact time lag. Sometimes the meteorite lands 15 minutes after the previous landed, sometimes it has been as long as 22 minutes. It works out to roughly 3 meteorites an hour. If there are 5 players who buff the landing site, I get 35 ore, about 20 dust, and normally a quartz from a landing. There tend to be fewer players than 5. This means less than 100, and typically less than 75, ore per hour. When it's only me doing the site, I get a lot of dragonite and hardly any dust or ore - sometimes less than 10 of each.

> >

> > The 5-minute timer after landing is a problem. You have to find the site, and the tracker works semi-abysmally when in motion on a mount. I've had to stop mid-air to reorient, and in one case I overshot the landing site. I'm often the first person there, taking over a minute to get there. Then I have to clear the mobs that the meteorite creates, and multiple other mobs that are simply there as part of the normal map environment. Being hit by iboga, a veteran awakened, a dervish, plus multiple elementals takes a while to clear. In one case, I had the meteorite disappear because I spent so much time fighting mobs. This is not helped by an NPC coming into attack me, because I was killing another NPC that moved away from the site, only for it to start moving back to its original position while being invulnerable, during which I aggro other NPCs. Plus the confusion debuff from the meteorite site.

> >

> > No other map creates such problems in gathering map currency. It is super easy to gather currency from nodes on other maps (e.g. Sandswept Isles) with all the mounts we have now, plus farming alts. Istan is the only map where this is painfully slow.

> >

> > I've opened the Sunspear caches (about 1 ore per cache), plus the Palawadan and Great Hall events. Again, it's about 1 ore per chest.

> >

> > Surely the ore gathering rate on this map isn't working as intended?

>

> Excellent description of how the proces works, so it is even worse then I pictured it. :) I definitely agree that the system needs some serious tweaks, if it is ever going to compete with grinding Hearts with alts. It is a pity, because in all it could be a fun little feature.

>

> More frequent meteorite drops, a map-wide announcement and do away with having to pin point the site could already alleviate a lot of problems. When more people are alerted and the site is easier to find, you can still leave the teamwork component in, like fighting mobs together and boost production.

And I forgot the kicker: I have to activate the tool to mark the site. Yes it has an offensive option (skill 4) that sucks for damage. When I am being hit by multiple mobs, I'm not pulling the tool out and marking - there are too many interrupts from the mobs to do that. I kill with my normal 1-5. So the marking is one of the last things I do. Taking 30 seconds to get to a site (because I don't know which WP to take as the landing site isn't marked until someone gets there to mark it), not being able to mark when I immediately get there because of mobs, killing the mobs that spawn with the meteorite, plus normal NPCs, I'm lucky to get a mark down anywhere near the 1 minute mark.

Even if one tweak was to instantly mark the landing site when the special function key is used (while mounted, the intention for using that tool to locate), that would be an enormous improvement over the current system.

Or just stick nodes in, like every other map, along with the meteorites.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> At the times I am playing, there are very few people trying to farm these meteorites. The mobs that spawn with the meteorite, in addition to the mobs that are already there (veteran awakened, in particular), mean that a rather large proportion of meteorite mining time is spent getting to the meteorite and then dealing with the mobs.

That should not be the case, takes less than 90sec to mine all the hidden nodes, and the meteorite stays up for 5min; people would be spending the first 3min waiting for the site to be fully marked while clearing out the mobs, if takes over 3min to clear the mobs then you probably need to assess your build or switch to another class that can clear mobs very fast like a DH

I got mine done September last year, both Astral and Stellar together, little bit over a month, gathering of meteorites were mostly done on weekends when there are LWS trains running through the map, and i have more time to play, capping out on daily meteorites

here's what I had done

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1037380#Comment_1037380

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > You know you can buy rose quartz from tp, right?

>

> Yep, but you can't buy the ore. Doing the three hearts on that map daily gives 75 ore. For one weapon collection that requires almost 9000 ore, 75 ore a day isn't a particularly good method.

You can do hearts daily with multiple characters.

You can also exchange eternal ice shards from Bjora map for kralka. Ice shards accumulate at a very fast pace.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > At the times I am playing, there are very few people trying to farm these meteorites. The mobs that spawn with the meteorite, in addition to the mobs that are already there (veteran awakened, in particular), mean that a rather large proportion of meteorite mining time is spent getting to the meteorite and then dealing with the mobs.

>

> That should not be the case, takes less than 90sec to mine all the hidden nodes, and the meteorite stays up for 5min; people would be spending the first 3min waiting for the site to be fully marked while clearing out the mobs, if takes over 3min to clear the mobs then you probably need to assess your build or switch to another class that can clear mobs very fast like a DH

That assumes I am spending every minute in that map watching the screen. There have been times when I hadn't noticed a meteorite soon enough so it disappears about the time I get there.

Nowhere have I said that it takes over 3 minutes to clear mobs.

And I haven't counted the time for search/pull up node/extract from node x4 time.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > You know you can buy rose quartz from tp, right?

> >

> > Yep, but you can't buy the ore. Doing the three hearts on that map daily gives 75 ore. For one weapon collection that requires almost 9000 ore, 75 ore a day isn't a particularly good method.

>

> You can do hearts daily with multiple characters.

> You can also exchange eternal ice shards from Bjora map for kralka. Ice shards accumulate at a very fast pace.

Yeah, I'm using the exchange method now.

For the hearts, I agree that is one way forward. It doesn't seem to be a particularly fun thing to do ingame. I don't even park alts at flax farms.