New Mount Ability - [Merged]

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> With how they said it, it sounds like a talent locked behind an anniversary reward. If its more shiny new content locked behind 6 years of having to wait to use it, I again will not be happy.

Most likely not. I believe they transitioned from the talk about anniversary gift to toss in a surprise that’s coming. I am guessing its release will be around the anniversary and you’ll either just get it unlocked with the skimmer or you earn it through another mastery or something.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Memoranda.9386" said:

> > @"Vissarion.6509" said:

>

> > Diving is useful universally, we need a good way to swim since it is so outdated and annoying 99% of the times, and world completion for example requires a lot of underwater areas. Plus i guess they are preparing for a lot of underwater content that might come with next expansion.

>

> We can disagree on this. If I spend 95% over land, it is not universally useful. Even doing map completion in core Tyria (arguably the most expansive "water content" zones) most maps don't seem to have more more than 25% or so UW area to explore.

>

> Something universal would be, say, a shield that absorbs damage for stamina. Or a "throw spear" skill that cripples enemies and does small damage. Something that can be used anywhere, and not only in a fraction of a map, in a fraction of the entire world.

If it’s a prelude to what’s to come for some big underwater maps, it would certainly be a good use.

> The way the announcement is worded, it seems to new skill is tied to character birthdays. So would you need an 8 year old character to get access to this new skill?

I read it differently from you. It's mentioned in conjunction with 8th birthdays under the Anniversary heading, but also says not every gift can easily be put in a box. I think it's more just tied to their anniversary celebration and will be generally available rather than stuffed in gift boxes for characters old enough.

> The way the announcement is worded, it seems to new skill is tied to character birthdays. So would you need an 8 year old character to get access to this new skill?

>

> If that is the case, I don't foresee this going over too well. Needing to play for 8 years to use a new ability?

>

> As for what it actually could be, I hope it's not diving. Would rather it be something more universally useful.

Thought the same thing, if anything, the skill shouldn't have much impact on the game if only 8 year old accounts/characters can get it. Also, the mount skill is sepparate from the 8th anniversary reward one on the announcement banner.

Both of these things makes me believe its just bad/confusing wording and the mount skill will be available for everyone to get.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> Considering that we are going to Cantha soon, underwater swimming should be quite an asset now that the jade sea has melted. So I can well imagine theres things of interest on the bottom of the sea.

At least partially metled anyway ^^

I hope it hasn't fully reverted yet, would be more interesting if it were still filled with a lot of Jade islands and um.. Jade ahh, icebergs?.. Jadebergs? I dunno xD

Personally I think it will more about transporting and carrying items or even players. Just before speaking about the new mastery, they mention mail carrier.

Other than that, take a look at the Bjora marches event where you are transformed into oxen: we get to drag offerings to the center of the area. That is proof they have been tinkering with this idea of carrying/transporting.

> @"Excursion.9752" said:

> > @"Memoranda.9386" said:

> > The way the announcement is worded, it seems to new skill is tied to character birthdays. So would you need an 8 year old character to get access to this new skill?

> >

> > If that is the case, I don't foresee this going over too well. Needing to play for 8 years to use a new ability?

> >

> > As for what it actually could be, I hope it's not diving. Would rather it be something more universally useful.

> These are my thoughts exactly. It would cause an uproar if something like a skimmer going underwater or fishing was added and everyone could not use it.

>

You mean this

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-summer-days-and-nights/

Of course, not all gifts can be neatly wrapped and delivered to your inbox by your favorite mail carrier, and we’ve got some surprises in store as well! Here’s a hint: maybe you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but one of your mounts is harboring an undiscovered talent…

Since the first line is it wont get wrapped and sent to your inbox, that would dispell any fears of it being a 8 year birthday thing would it not?

I cant see how any of you guys got the idea its a birthday thing at all with that wording.

Edit

On the other hand its pretty sad its not utility skill 3 that get added so all mounts can use it and only 1 mount.

> @"lummuss.6850" said:

> Underwater skimmer wouldn't work, folks! Don't forget that the deadly sands on Path of Fire maps are also considered water. What would it be like if a skimmer dives into those sands?

The sand would still kill you if you went down inside of it. Doesn't matter what you're on top of, that Aquabreather can't breathe sand.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering all mounts masteries needs PoF mastery points , This new one should be too, isn't it ? What do you think ? If it's a new bond skill, then I guess it could be with Icebrood points , depending if Aurene come back for Jormag , it could be possible ....

when i visit the gardens in the center of Divinity's Reach, there has been a glowing circle on the floor. whenever i cross into it, it tells me mount up on my Skyscale to learn a new skill. but nothing ever happens after i mount up, except another popup asking me to mount up on my Skyscale to learn a new skill.

Not sure how long ago i ran across this the first time... but it's been at least a few weeks...

If we get underwater Skimmer, i hope it's "true swim", like, you press a button and toggle between underwater and above water, and not just you press the button and you go underwater for as long as you have endurance or some mechanic like that.

I wouldn't be super mad if it was the second, but it would be a bit disapointing hehe.

> @"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:

> Looks like all the speculation was quite a bit off from what Anet actually released.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ash_Legion_Mount_Stealth

>

> It seems like their graphic/icon really ended up being a red herring.

Don't think this is it. The announcement said it was an actual skill (not tech attached to it) specific to a single mount and was tied to the anniversary

Ah, so the question is, is this what they were talking about, or something else? Sounds like we will have to complete some Ash Legion achievement to unlock it. Well, it seems like a useful skill, and across ALL mounts. I would guess it has a time limit, and we won't be able to mosey across the entire Drizzlewood Coast without being touched by snipers. :D

But because it is across ALL mounts, it doesn't sound like the hidden talent of ONE mount that was hinted at.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> Ah, so the question is, is this what they were talking about, or something else? Sounds like we will have to complete some Ash Legion achievement to unlock it. Well, it seems like a useful skill, and across ALL mounts. I would guess it has a time limit, and we won't be able to mosey across the entire Drizzlewood Coast without being touched by snipers. :D

>

> But because it is across ALL mounts, it doesn't sound like the hidden talent of ONE mount that was hinted at.

I hope this is not what they were talking about... Didnt unlock yet but at firat glance look underwhelming if it is...

Just like most Anniversary gifts, I won't expect too much from them. The "chair" last year was a reminder of that. If anything the ability will be some little flashy thing that you use a couple times to show off how old your character is and probably will never use again.

I can't see them giving people an ability that will be super useful that others have to wait until their character turns 8 in order to get.