PoF Intro Mission Impossible to Solo. What's up with the Difficulty Spike?

> @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > I could tell you it's solo content, but obviously you're struggling so that isn't exactly helpful. I could give you pointers on build and strategy, but you probably aren't trying to hear that right now. So, let me just offer to help. If you're on NA servers, feel free to add me to contacts and look me up if you're stuck on anything.

>

> I'd appreciate it. First person on here to offer that sort of thing to me. I could list my build, but getting names and all the states correctly to properly convey what I have to people on here would end up becoming monotonous.

>

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

This is a useful tool for sharing builds so that other players can see exactly what you're running.

In any event, the offer stands. Feel free to contact me in game any time. If I'm not afk or busy with something else I'll help you out and maybe together we can get some idea of where things aren't working so well.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"Mil.3562" said:

> > You can solo all the expansions and LW stories but it's just so frustrating. If you die, just go back and you will continue from where you left off. And if you keep dying, i suggest that you bring along a repair canister or two. Repair your gears only when four or more of your armours are broken.

Just a note, reaching back into the past: there is no mechanical effect to "damaged" gear, only broken. So, you can die six times before you start losing value from your gear, at which point it'll show red on the "what is broken" display.

> @"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:

> dont forget to put gear and skills before going in.

>

> how do you even die though.

>

> Sorry to be the one to say it, but it's a l2p issue

How do you even die? Easy :) I've run it twice on a core ranger and unfinished scourge (only the middle of the trait lines was unlocked). Scourge was a snap, but my ranger died twice.

Some advice for later on, OP-- take your new raptor at the end of the chapter and seek out the rest of the hero points in core Tyria. Use them to unlock PoF's elite spec (Spellbreaker) and finish the first of the trait lines. You'll have a much easier time with the rest of PoF once you have an operational elite spec. Stay away from HoT's Berserker specialization until you've finished unlocking Spellbreaker. The allocation of trait unlocks and skills is well done with PoF, while you'll be struggling with an unfinished spec if you go the HoT route.

Wait to see the second to last boss, or the last boss if you are having trouble with the intro.

You are complaining about the PoF intro which leads to believe that you are a new player (HoT intro might be even harder) that jumped directly to the expansion content after they finished the core game. I don't blame you, in fact it's the fault of Arenanet. You see, veteran players had a lot of time, and played a lot of content between the core game and the expansions, however, Arenanet in their infinite wisdom, decided to put that content behind a paywall (or even delete most of season 1), you must pay gems to unlock it. This means that veteran players went into expansions, like PoF, already experienced with the game and with good builds, and in that case the expansions, and especially the intro instances, were much easier. I can understand how a player jumping from core to PoF without playing the mass amount of content in-between them might find the expansion really hard or even impossible to solo.

My advice is to get a proper build, good gear, good skills. Then go back to the harder areas of the core game, like Orr, Southsun Cove, Dry Top or Silverwastes, if you only glanced over there, and play some more to get more experience with the game, experience as a player, not as a character. Then you return back to that intro you'll find it so easy and say "why was I having trouble with this?"

Again, I don't blame you, and I don't intend to offend you or anything, it's Arenanet's fault for this situation, the difficulty spike between the core game and expansions is gigantic, and you missed 3 years of content that bridge that gap. Not to mention the story.

Might not be a bad idea, regardless of how it started, to just drop the drama.

OP, feel free to post a build if you would like feedback from multiple sources, but AliamRationem.5172 knows what he is talking about so you won't go wrong with some more direct advice from him if you manage to meet up in game.

I can tell you that I am not particularly good at the game but have been able to solo this mission on multiple characters. This may very well entail some adjustments to your build, but if you are open minded about the matter I am sure you will be able to make this happen.

> @"Zohane.7208" said:

> > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > > > > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > > > > > I could tell you it's solo content, but obviously you're struggling so that isn't exactly helpful. I could give you pointers on build and strategy, but you probably aren't trying to hear that right now. So, let me just offer to help. If you're on NA servers, feel free to add me to contacts and look me up if you're stuck on anything.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'd appreciate it. First person on here to offer that sort of thing to me. I could list my build, but getting names and all the states correctly to properly convey what I have to people on here would end up becoming monotonous.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm sorry, was asking for specific problems you were having too invasive for you? I asked what problem you were having in order to give focused help, and others tried to guess because you gave a vague description of your trouble. I thought you wanted help getting better at the game, I didn't realize you just wanted someone to do it for you. You can get a carry through this part of the story, but I promise unless you try to improve your skills in this game, you won't finish the story, or get through the LW story.

> > > >

> > > > Your post sounds a bit like you are peeved at me. Initially I did come asking for help in regards to why the AI seemed at a hard difficulty then what I've experienced previously. Then when people asked what my build was, I wasn't sure how best to post it as copying in-game build stats was going to become daunting. So when I didn't have a reasonable way to transfer build into from in-game to here on the Forums. The offer of in-game help seemed like the only option I had.

> > > >

> > > > However now two people have posted a Build tool I didn't know exited, which will help.

> > > >

> > > > Like I said your post seems like you are trying to pick a fight with me (especially the first sentence. Which comes across as insinuating and fight picking). If that's your intent I would prefer not to speak with you further, as I don't want to end up fighting with someone.

> > >

> > > I'm bothered by people that gloss over things when asking for help. I specifically asked what part you were having difficulty with, and others made assumptions, still with no answer as to where you are hitting a wall. You skipped over my question and went straight for the person offering ingame help. People have given advice on how to complete what they think you are having trouble with, and others have offered help here on the forum, but your first sign of gratitude is the person offering to carry you through. That is insulting to everyone trying to help, and it came off as a little rude reading "First person to offer that sort of thing." Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish.

> >

> > I think this rather priceless considering I did in-fact give you the information you are claiming I never said. Honestly I think you are just looking for something to pick a fight about, and in-turn nitpicking what I've said vs what you claim I haven't said.

> >

> > You continue to try and make accusations and I'll be reporting you here on the forums for attempting to start a flame war. No pun intended. So please stop, it's coming across as really childish what you are doing.

>

> There seems to be some form of communication issue here... I'm sure you think you posted the information @"Klowdy.3126" and others were missing, but I'm afraid I can't see it either, so it's entirely possible that you weren't entirely clear on telling the problem. All I see is a reference to some undodgeable fireballs. Most of us probably can't remember those so it would have been helpful if you told us in what part of the fight you were getting the issue and/or which foes throw them. Then I'm sure people would have been able to offer much more help instead of getting down to what indeed seems like mudslinging (but was likely not intended as such - again communication...).

I've just posted a answer to most of your post. Since it seems that listing the mission "Sparking the Flame" isn't enough, what else do I need to start? I didn't realize the mission was long enough to need to delve that deep.

> @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > @"Zohane.7208" said:

> > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > > > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > > > > > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > > > > > > I could tell you it's solo content, but obviously you're struggling so that isn't exactly helpful. I could give you pointers on build and strategy, but you probably aren't trying to hear that right now. So, let me just offer to help. If you're on NA servers, feel free to add me to contacts and look me up if you're stuck on anything.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I'd appreciate it. First person on here to offer that sort of thing to me. I could list my build, but getting names and all the states correctly to properly convey what I have to people on here would end up becoming monotonous.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm sorry, was asking for specific problems you were having too invasive for you? I asked what problem you were having in order to give focused help, and others tried to guess because you gave a vague description of your trouble. I thought you wanted help getting better at the game, I didn't realize you just wanted someone to do it for you. You can get a carry through this part of the story, but I promise unless you try to improve your skills in this game, you won't finish the story, or get through the LW story.

> > > > >

> > > > > Your post sounds a bit like you are peeved at me. Initially I did come asking for help in regards to why the AI seemed at a hard difficulty then what I've experienced previously. Then when people asked what my build was, I wasn't sure how best to post it as copying in-game build stats was going to become daunting. So when I didn't have a reasonable way to transfer build into from in-game to here on the Forums. The offer of in-game help seemed like the only option I had.

> > > > >

> > > > > However now two people have posted a Build tool I didn't know exited, which will help.

> > > > >

> > > > > Like I said your post seems like you are trying to pick a fight with me (especially the first sentence. Which comes across as insinuating and fight picking). If that's your intent I would prefer not to speak with you further, as I don't want to end up fighting with someone.

> > > >

> > > > I'm bothered by people that gloss over things when asking for help. I specifically asked what part you were having difficulty with, and others made assumptions, still with no answer as to where you are hitting a wall. You skipped over my question and went straight for the person offering ingame help. People have given advice on how to complete what they think you are having trouble with, and others have offered help here on the forum, but your first sign of gratitude is the person offering to carry you through. That is insulting to everyone trying to help, and it came off as a little rude reading "First person to offer that sort of thing." Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish.

> > >

> > > I think this rather priceless considering I did in-fact give you the information you are claiming I never said. Honestly I think you are just looking for something to pick a fight about, and in-turn nitpicking what I've said vs what you claim I haven't said.

> > >

> > > You continue to try and make accusations and I'll be reporting you here on the forums for attempting to start a flame war. No pun intended. So please stop, it's coming across as really childish what you are doing.

> >

> > There seems to be some form of communication issue here... I'm sure you think you posted the information @"Klowdy.3126" and others were missing, but I'm afraid I can't see it either, so it's entirely possible that you weren't entirely clear on telling the problem. All I see is a reference to some undodgeable fireballs. Most of us probably can't remember those so it would have been helpful if you told us in what part of the fight you were getting the issue and/or which foes throw them. Then I'm sure people would have been able to offer much more help instead of getting down to what indeed seems like mudslinging (but was likely not intended as such - again communication...).

>

> I've just posted a answer to most of your post. Since it seems that listing the mission "Sparking the Flame" isn't enough, what else do I need to start? I didn't realize the mission was long enough to need to delve that deep.

This is indeed a quite long mission, in many stages (this is common in PoF; most, if not all, missions are long with several phases in the same instance). Since you're presumably new to PoF, I'll try not to drop any spoilers while still giving a few examples.

You obviously made it into the pyramid, since that's where fighting begins as far as I remember. Is it the very first encounter, with the loads of foes that give you problems? If so, did you happen to notice which ones were dropping the fireballs?

Did you possibly enounter a large and rather assertive person? Was that the problem?

Did you make it past the first room into the next area? If so, that fight may have been in several stages - was any of that particularly troublesome?

I hope this is enough to give you an idea of what people are asking for, without giving too much away of the mission itself.

Well this escelates quickly.

Lets see if we can get this into a more helpfull direction.

You write you play Warrior. That's a good choice. Even the corebuild is pretty strong and also have great sustain if traited the right way.

You don't told us about your build so let me give you an example for an defensiv traited warrior build.

[gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5ejMdQVH2FCOeAnIGICK9Lm+twCgIonxT4FGBA-e](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5ejMdQVH2FCOeAnIGICK9Lm+twCgIonxT4FGBA-e "gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5ejMdQVH2FCOeAnIGICK9Lm+twCgIonxT4FGBA-e")

Defline gives you much of liferegen including excelent condiremoval.

Use GS to attack, if you are under pressure or low health swich to mace/shield and use the blocks.

Try to dodge out of red circles and keep hitting the mobs. Erverything is dodgeable you just need to figure out in wich direction.

If you play on EU Servers i can lend you a hand if you want a companion, just send me a message inagme.

> @"SunTzu.4513" said:

> > OP play on na servers so sadly you and I cant help them SunTzu

>

> Ah, seems i read over this detail, need some more coffe.

>

Nah you dident mate, I only know about it since I sent a ingame mail asking when OP was slow to respond in thread =) Still havent typed it in here either hehe.

> @"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:

> dont forget to put gear and skills before going in.

>

> how do you even die though.

>

> Sorry to be the one to say it, but it's a l2p issue

I agree and am not trying to be kitten about it. It almost sounds like the OP came back to GW2, used a level 80 boost and is trying to quickly get into PoF to get access to mounts without understanding their class mechanics. A lot has probably changed since s/he last played.

I recommend learning the class before diving headfirst into PoF solo.

If you die on a war you are doing something wrong. posting your build here will help us point out what you are missing. No need to get all denfensive. Alternatively, you can list on LFG and ask for help I'm sure people will join up and help without the toxicity. Asking in map chat might induce some response you don't wanna see because to be very frank the intro is considered generally alright in terms of difficulty. Just take people's opinions lightly.

> @"SunTzu.4513" said:

> Well this escelates quickly.

>

> Lets see if we can get this into a more helpfull direction.

>

> You write you play Warrior. That's a good choice. Even the corebuild is pretty strong and also have great sustain if traited the right way.

> You don't told us about your build so let me give you an example for an defensiv traited warrior build.

>

> [gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5ejMdQVH2FCOeAnIGICK9Lm+twCgIonxT4FGBA-e](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5ejMdQVH2FCOeAnIGICK9Lm+twCgIonxT4FGBA-e "gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR5ejMdQVH2FCOeAnIGICK9Lm+twCgIonxT4FGBA-e")

>

> Defline gives you much of liferegen including excelent condiremoval.

> Use GS to attack, if you are under pressure or low health swich to mace/shield and use the blocks.

> Try to dodge out of red circles and keep hitting the mobs. Erverything is dodgeable you just need to figure out in wich direction.

>

> If you play on EU Servers i can lend you a hand if you want a companion, just send me a message inagme.

>

>

>

Which is something else worth pointing out....... The intro level of most games are usually designed to front load a lot of basic concepts you'll be dealing with throughout the game. That fight in shattered pyramid introduces you to the most of the core enemy mechanics you haven't encountered previously in the game. Like the Mordrem before them, they're NOT actually "difficult"- they just don't fall for the same build gimmicks most people optimized for HOT. Core rewards pure damage, HOT rewards burst tactics, but POF fights are more sustain oriented. Most mobs don't fall in a single burst, and they have enough DOT to put the hurt on glassy builds.

With everyone so used to running high damage builds, most don't think to mitigate damage instead of just trying to recover from it. But if you look at each of the POF Especs, nearly all of them have their traits laid out with obvious defensive options. HOT Especs also have defensive options, but they're made to specialize more in a few areas at a time. That said, if you look at WvW combat builds, most of them get half their traits in defense, which is usually enough to squeeze by without needing to invest in stats. That said, POF punishes low mobility builds.... IE the majority of Raid and Open world builds that try to get damage through stacking damage and complex rotations.

Getting around this is not difficult.... just takes some adjustment in strategy. Things like knowing how to keep moving, saving your defense skills for the right moment, kiting , jukes, positioning, forcing enemies in to bad positions, and not trying to over pull (which is something that used to be dangerous in HOT, but we started getting good at again). The parallels to WvW are probably not entirely coincidental, given half the Especs were designed to break the last WvW meta; and you'd be surprised how effective Roaming builds (even the HOT ones) are in PoF against even the more dangerous Vets. And like WvW, you don't want to lose situational awareness, and get overwhelmed by a random patrol you would had otherwise seen coming a mile away.

I've soloed that on 4 different characters/classes, and honestly I had the hardest time on the warrior, so you aren't alone. That being said, as some others have already volunteered to help, so will I. So, hit me up if I'm on, and if I'm not in the middle of something I'll come help.

The power warrior might be hard, because it's melee, and because hundred blades roots you in place, which is going to hurt a lot in this instance. You need to be either range, or move constantly (preferably both). Try using axe, and have a longbow as a range backup. Or go condi berserker, that build makes the fight soo much easier. Although that last one requires HoT, both for elite specialization and for gear.

An example build https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Warrior_-_Axe/Axe_Arms

(the build suggests ascended equipment, but exotic berserker gear will do just fine)

Basically, the whole idea is to constantly move, in order to avoid damage fields/fireball attacks without the need to dodge, and to burst enemies fast enough so they won't manage to kill you. If you can manage to group and burst down both dogs at the same time, it also helps. It's okay to die, if you manage to kill some enemies between deaths (as they won't respawn).

The boss alone is relatively easy, you just need to remember to always try to rotate, in order to be behind her when she makes her big attacks. There's usually no need for dodging to do that (she's really slow).

I play this game with the action camera turned on so being more mobile in combat comes naturally to me. Even still as a warrior this part was difficult as a fresh 80 warrior myself. It's a bit of a wake up call where core allowed me to get away with primarily a DPS/signet build and a healing skill, but here defenses and sustain are critical, as there's simply too much for two dodges and signet healing to really work. Still, I plowed through it by wounding targets to near death and exploiting the rally mechanic but it made me think about my build. I think I died once that fight, and largely because I rolled into a corner.

On reflection, I've started focusing my build on some passive actions like "Shrug it Off" and "Lesser Last Stand," as well as having my shouts heal me as I tend to use "for great justice" and "shake it off" a lot now. Mind, "Shrug it off" triggers the heal too and is on a relatively short cooldown (shorter than it reports I think...) I then used a mace MH and sword OH for all the defense they provide and swap to two axes when my dodge meter is full and my healing skill Mend (big heal, short CD, removes conditions) and shouts are ready. Basically swap between biding time and bursting out damage now. Alternatively, there's the warrior healing skill Defiant Stance that turns all incoming damage into healing. Longer cool down than mend but it can turn the large amount of damage that can get thrown around in that fight into a resource.

I hope this helps give some perspective in what might work for you, OP. It's easy to get a little spoiled leveling with a certain build and then have your sense of power and skill thrown in your face with this first mission, especially as a fresh 80 that hasn't spent any real time experimenting before running it.

> @"Emprer.7256" said:

> If you die on a war you are doing something wrong. posting your build here will help us point out what you are missing. No need to get all denfensive. Alternatively, you can list on LFG and ask for help I'm sure people will join up and help without the toxicity. Asking in map chat might induce some response you don't wanna see because to be very frank the intro is considered generally alright in terms of difficulty. Just take people's opinions lightly.

Could be a learn to play experience, but I solo-ed that part and further into PoF with 4 chars. Warrior for me was by far the most difficult. I can't even remember if I died with my mesmer and ranger, but that mission in the crystal desert with all the forged just wrecked with all those conditions.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:

> > dont forget to put gear and skills before going in.

> >

> > how do you even die though.

> >

> > Sorry to be the one to say it, but it's a l2p issue

>

> I agree and am not trying to be kitten about it. It almost sounds like the OP came back to GW2, used a level 80 boost and is trying to quickly get into PoF to get access to mounts without understanding their class mechanics. A lot has probably changed since s/he last played.

>

> I recommend learning the class before diving headfirst into PoF solo.

Actually I leveled this character up the normal way. I was absent from the game just prior to the drop of PoF and until a few days ago.

Since it seems the mission I am stuck on it longer then I had thought, I'll try and best describe where I am stuck. After the pyramid you go to a burning village. That's where I am stuck the most. The farthest I've gotten was after the Hearld send her to attack dogs after you. At that point I got stonewalled and had to go back to Lion's Arch because I did nothing but die and my armor was entirely broken. I also end up dying a lot at the pyramid as well, but not as much probably due to the ally bot help.