New Legendary Runes/Sigils alongside a Community Event

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"ParadoX.3124" said:

> I don't get it, if you already have legendary armors/weapons what is the point ?

> buying an inventary slot is way cheaper than crafting these things

You mean buying an inventory slot for EACH rune in the game. Inventory management will be all the better for this convenience item.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Psientist.6437" said:

> > Not very interesting. They definitely have value, especially in the context of saving and loading builds. Maybe they couldn't do anything more interesting. There are so many Legendary effects from other sources and increasing stats may have been a hard sell. I would be ok with Ascendeded upgrades with a small stat increase and free removal.

> >

> > The requirement for one exotic seems unnecessary and confusing. What does it add? Or am I reading the description wrong?

>

> They just mean you can mix exotic and legendary of the same item and you still get the bonus. The one exotic was an example, not a rule

Making it possible to get one Legendary upgrade at a time and use that Legendary. Thank you.

That makes Ascended upgrades unlikely.

No need to be concerned. They're giving us things to do. This and templates already being shot down before implementation isn't going to get us anywhere. Whether its inline with templates or not shouldn't matter, you dont NEED any of them. Choice is what we're given here, nothings a must. Wait and see.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Functionally, runes need to be cheaper than a piece of ascended armor to make ... otherwise you just make ascended armor sets with the runes you want.

That's not true unless someone's never planning to swap between more than 2 rune sets.

> I'm actually pretty concerned ... I don't think swappable runes/sigils is inline with build templates.

How can you judge what's inline with build templates when we have no details on them? For all we know, they only include skills and traits. Did they share anything more than that?

I don't really see what the concern is about -if they won't be worth making then... don't get them. Easy.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Functionally, runes need to be cheaper than a piece of ascended armor to make ... otherwise you just make ascended armor sets with the runes you want. Sigils and runes are relatively cheap so ... not sure what the 'sell' is here unless you are swapping LOTS.

>

> I'm actually pretty concerned ... I don't think swappable runes/sigils is inline with build templates. Why would they release such a thing despite templates coming? maybe templates aren't all they are cracked up to be. I can see making one full set of runes/sigils to test with, but that's probably it.

To be fair build templates should include these legendary runes/sigils so it makes sense to release templates AFTER these, otherwise they'd have to re-build templates to include legendary runes/sigils.

I have one request:

Please use this as an opportunity to sink materials that are not getting sufficient uses despite their supposed rarity:

1. Globs of Dark Matter (I have 306, barely using 1 every few months, this is ridiculous. 75 per Upgrade like Stabilizing Matrices would be a good number)

2. Obsidian Shard (Wasn't a problem at launch, too many low-effort sources added since. Constantly having more than 1,000 in storage. This should consume 250 per upgrade.)

3. Glob of Ectoplasm (Prices are less than half it used to be thanks to too many rare equipment loot from farm-oriented meta-events, have over 2,000, this should also be 250 per upgrade.)

4. Fulgurite. Please use lots and lots of these. 250 per upgrade would be reasonable.

5. Pile of Putrid Essence. These are Tier 6 yet see almost no relevant use. (I have 232 after playing 7 years, and 796 piles of Vile Essence to refine into Putrid with Elonian Wines. A fair amount for players with 1-3 years playing experience seems to be 25 per upgrade.)

6. Spirit Shards. Goodness I have over 6k of these useless things that people can earn faster than they can craft Legendaries to sink them. (Consume 250 per upgrade, more if they are used to purchase an ingredient that is tradeable.)

7. Common stuff that can be used to forge a unique material like Fulgurite for Legendary Upgrades: Piles of Coarse Sand, Milling Stones, Congealed Putrescence, Eyes of Kormir.

8. Less common stuff that nonetheless lack relevant use and demand that can be used to forge a unique material like Fulgurite for Legendary Upgrades: Sliver of Twitching Forgemetal, Ley-infused Sand, Mordrem Lodestones, Evergreen Lodestones, Resonating Lodestones, Watchwork Sprockets, Karka Shells, Charged Fossils, Charged Thorn, Sheet of Ambrite.

The stuff above are barely part of the economy due to limited, infrequent or non-existent uses so I beg of you kind folks at ArenaNet to make it exciting to acquire them.

This particular addition feels like it was designed to exploit what developers often call "whales"(who are still people). How we can talk about them as if they were just some piggy banks feels disgusting to me. If they were all rich assholes, fine, but I doubt that's actually the case.

Beyond that, I feel like this legendary equipment idea was a mistake to begin with. If legendary was just some flashy cosmetic, fine, I wouldn't bother. Instead, it restricts what should be considered a baseline feature. I have 18 characters(1 per elite spec) and I like to change their builds up frequently. This gets expensive fairly quickly. Getting all of them legendary equipment also doesn't sound plausible. Not only that, but getting some legendary equipment requires spending time doing content that is less enjoyable than filing taxes. Why should this be the case? To overcome this, why not make stat selection a separate account unlock for each slot? I'd still have to do soul-crushingly-boring raids, but at least there'd be an end in sight.

This is worthless like totally worthless:

-You can already remove your runes freely from legendary armor

-It's useless for Ascended stuff because there's no way you'll put something like monk runes on a purely offensive setup right? You're still gonna put Scholar runes or other ones

The sigils might be useful for people with legendary weapons regularly switching between PvE and WvW but other than that it's not worth it, the price to make one is even more ridiculous, I've heard people saying it's 800g to make one btw which is 500 more gold than a legendary armor piece, at this price it's better to get the Permanent Extractor than getting 6 Runes and 4 Sigils...

This will be an excellent addition and welcoming change.

I bet the people complaining about this and saying it has no value, etc. probably don’t have a legendary item. If you can’t see the positive picture for legendary runes/sigils then you need to be open minded.

Don’t want them? Don’t get them. Simple as that.

> @"Kruhljak.2705" said:

> So, if you're not in the small group that has legendary armor, this update is functionally irrelevant? Is that right?

That's my opinion, yes (armor+weapons), as very few builds for a profession require the exact same armor and weapon stats, hence I don't see any usefulness for legendary upgrades in ascended gear.

P.S. Elementalist, for instance, would be the big exception here, but then again it also uses the same armor upgrades for all its Berserker builds.

Well the legenary runes and sigils and their functionality are pretty much as was to be expected given there is no power creep.

For players with legendary gear, they save some inventory slots mostly depending on how many different builds that person plays.

For players with ascended gear they are nealy irrelevant since it is easier and likely cheaper to just get multiple ascended sets with appropriate runes/sigils.

The most use is for players who play WvW and PvE on the same ascended setup but being able to now change the runes/sigils between game modes.

The aquabreather was already mentioned, probably one of the most interesting gear pieces (which also lacks a legendary option currently) to get a legendary rune for.

It will ultimately come down to cost per sigil/rune. At more than 100 gold per rune/sigil (600 gold total for an entire armor set) these become very niche and absolutely not worth the upgrade. At over 300 gold per rune/sigil (1,800 gold for an entire 6-piece armor set) we enter ludicrous territory where it makes more sense to make additional legendary armor sets over runes.

Personally I believe the sweet spot would be at 50 - 100 gold per legendary rune and 100 - 200 gold per sigil where players with legendary gear might consider getting these.

Then again we do see legendary trinkets at 1.5k gold cost versus their almost free ascended counter parts, so who knows.

> @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > @"ParadoX.3124" said:

> > I don't get it, if you already have legendary armors/weapons what is the point ?

> > buying an inventary slot is way cheaper than crafting these things

>

> You realise the same thing can be said about any legendary weapon or armor piece, right?

Yes, but you have a great skin, same for Trinkets.

If they are anything like Legendary Trinkets or Weapons, aka just a grind to keep people busy and giving them the illusion of content while being laughable unreasonable and inefficient to get, where it's much more reasonable to just max out bag slots on all your characters to make space for essentially free ascended stuff or some Runes to swap out for a fraction of the price of just one or two of those items on one character, then I'm going to be quite disappointed.

If they are more like armour, expensive but somewhat reasonable and really convenient, I might get them.

But even for my characters who have around 5-15 build templates, they are really only using 3-5 different sets of runes which are common between the builds.

If a full set of runes is "just" 1000 gold, which seems unlikely looking at Trinkets and such, it's still crazy for freeing up 3 or so inventory slots, while probably being more of an hassle to swap than just clicking Runes into Legendary Armor, or swapping Ascended pieces including their own Runes for those without Templates, while you won't feel a difference with.

The only interesting suggestion for a use iv'e seen in this thread is to use one legendary Rune on the Aqua Breather, but let's be honest, how frequently do you swap builds for underwater content?

I was looking forward to see what interesting thing they would come up for legendary Runes and Sigils, but I have a feeling it's just going to be a sink like Trinkets, except thankfully without glowing balls everywhere.

> @"Sylum.1806" said:

> I have one request:

>

> Please use this as an opportunity to sink materials that are not getting sufficient uses despite their supposed rarity:

>

> 1. Globs of Dark Matter (I have 306, barely using 1 every few months, this is ridiculous. 75 per Upgrade like Stabilizing Matrices would be a good number)

> 2. Obsidian Shard (Wasn't a problem at launch, too many low-effort sources added since. Constantly having more than 1,000 in storage. This should consume 250 per upgrade.)

> 3. Glob of Ectoplasm (Prices are less than half it used to be thanks to too many rare equipment loot from farm-oriented meta-events, have over 2,000, this should also be 250 per upgrade.)

> 4. Fulgurite. Please use lots and lots of these. 250 per upgrade would be reasonable.

> 5. Pile of Putrid Essence. These are Tier 6 yet see almost no relevant use. (I have 232 after playing 7 years, and 796 piles of Vile Essence to refine into Putrid with Elonian Wines. A fair amount for players with 1-3 years playing experience seems to be 25 per upgrade.)

> 6. Spirit Shards. Goodness I have over 6k of these useless things that people can earn faster than they can craft Legendaries to sink them. (Consume 250 per upgrade, more if they are used to purchase an ingredient that is tradeable.)

> 7. Common stuff that can be used to forge a unique material like Fulgurite for Legendary Upgrades: Piles of Coarse Sand, Milling Stones, Congealed Putrescence, Eyes of Kormir.

> 8. Less common stuff that nonetheless lack relevant use and demand that can be used to forge a unique material like Fulgurite for Legendary Upgrades: Sliver of Twitching Forgemetal, Ley-infused Sand, Mordrem Lodestones, Evergreen Lodestones, Resonating Lodestones, Watchwork Sprockets, Karka Shells, Charged Fossils, Charged Thorn, Sheet of Ambrite.

>

> The stuff above are barely part of the economy due to limited, infrequent or non-existent uses so I beg of you kind folks at ArenaNet to make it exciting to acquire them.

Some of this stuff I go through awfully fast(obsidian shards, fulgarite) and some would make me want to throw you off a cliff(ANYTHING required charged quartz at this point will make me scream) but in general, I agree. And those toxic spores from Kessex.

> @"Akari Storm.6809" said:

> -In addition to the stat swapping they could have added something. Anything. Example: 1 legendary rune activates a 7th bonus slot on legendary runes, an enrichment %, each additional legendary rune increases %. Don't have to make a selectable enrichment, make it all of them like an in armor hero banner that does amulet infusion type enrichments.

> -As far as sigils, could do the same thing minus having to have a set to activate, just a stand alone.

> -Legendary Armor and Items could have been that way also, but does make more sense with how runes are. example though, like aurora and vision, 6 pieces of legendary armor activate an additional box drop from mobs or give selected materiel drops like cores or lodestones or gems or something.

>

> Could have done something more with bonuses, keeping with no stat increases all while providing incentive or carrot. They aren't even doing anything with account bonuses. Account bonuses should be low hanging fruit for a horizontally progressed game.

How to cause problems in your mmo

Lock stat upgrades behind stupidly expensive gear

I dont think you understand how much your proposal goes against anets core vision for the game.

Their goal was to bring people together not rip them apart.

Making an or several expensive exclusive stat increases behind items like these encourages end game segregation.

Imagine going to raid or fractal t4 and being told no because you dont have legendary armor/ weapons / and runes....... or are missing one of the three.

No thanks... i dont support your ideas.

> @"Sylum.1806" said:

> I have one request:

>

> Please use this as an opportunity to sink materials that are not getting sufficient uses despite their supposed rarity:

>

> 1. Globs of Dark Matter (I have 306, barely using 1 every few months, this is ridiculous. 75 per Upgrade like Stabilizing Matrices would be a good number)

> 2. Obsidian Shard (Wasn't a problem at launch, too many low-effort sources added since. Constantly having more than 1,000 in storage. This should consume 250 per upgrade.)

> 3. Glob of Ectoplasm (Prices are less than half it used to be thanks to too many rare equipment loot from farm-oriented meta-events, have over 2,000, this should also be 250 per upgrade.)

> 4. Fulgurite. Please use lots and lots of these. 250 per upgrade would be reasonable.

> 5. Pile of Putrid Essence. These are Tier 6 yet see almost no relevant use. (I have 232 after playing 7 years, and 796 piles of Vile Essence to refine into Putrid with Elonian Wines. A fair amount for players with 1-3 years playing experience seems to be 25 per upgrade.)

> 6. Spirit Shards. Goodness I have over 6k of these useless things that people can earn faster than they can craft Legendaries to sink them. (Consume 250 per upgrade, more if they are used to purchase an ingredient that is tradeable.)

> 7. Common stuff that can be used to forge a unique material like Fulgurite for Legendary Upgrades: Piles of Coarse Sand, Milling Stones, Congealed Putrescence, Eyes of Kormir.

> 8. Less common stuff that nonetheless lack relevant use and demand that can be used to forge a unique material like Fulgurite for Legendary Upgrades: Sliver of Twitching Forgemetal, Ley-infused Sand, Mordrem Lodestones, Evergreen Lodestones, Resonating Lodestones, Watchwork Sprockets, Karka Shells, Charged Fossils, Charged Thorn, Sheet of Ambrite.

>

> The stuff above are barely part of the economy due to limited, infrequent or non-existent uses so I beg of you kind folks at ArenaNet to make it exciting to acquire them.

Yeah, I don't think they should use the content of _your_ bank to determine the cost of these upgrades.

These are terrible ideas especially given the quantities you propose. Several of the materials you mention are locked behind either Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire or come from a relatively low drop when salvaging exotics (using Black Lion Salvage Kits you would have to salvage on average about 75 exotics to get 75 Globs of Dark Matter, you'd need 150 using a Master Salvage Kit).

All that your idea would achieve is preventing people from being able to make legendary runes and sigils.

Im personally not a owner of any legendaries (for the moment)

Never cared enough for many of them. These runes wont be an exception for me. I mainly play 2 characters at any given time (mostly my necro) and i dont often change my stats / build between pve and wvw. There is literally no reason for me to get them. I play a bit too causal to even entertain the idea.

Not to mention as people said its far too cheap and easy just to have extra inventory slots holding any other sets of gear you might really really use which is what I do.

That said this will provide a helpfulness to a small minority I'm sure so I'm not against the idea of them adding it.

Thank god these things wont ad any more sparkle to the already overloaded game engine as that is one thing we really dont need right now.

I keep hearing build templets are on the way possibly. (something i probably wont use outside of spvp to be honest with you)