mistake or backstab? capes

since this update i found out something nasty, we now need to use a transmutation charge to use capes.

they used to be free to apply, i just checked 1 minute ago that it does cost a trans. charge right now.

i don't know if this is a mistake and they are fixing it in a future patch but if it's intentional, it's IMO quite a backstab.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> since this update i found out something nasty, we now need to use a transmutation charge to use capes.

> they used to be free to apply, i just checked 1 minute ago that it does cost a trans. charge right now.

>

> i don't know if this is a mistake and they are fixing it in a future patch but if it's intentional, it's IMO quite a backstab.

Actually they were supposed to be using one all along. Consider previous uses without to have been freebies.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > since this update i found out something nasty, we now need to use a transmutation charge to use capes.

> > they used to be free to apply, i just checked 1 minute ago that it does cost a trans. charge right now.

> >

> > i don't know if this is a mistake and they are fixing it in a future patch but if it's intentional, it's IMO quite a backstab.

>

> Actually they were supposed to be using one all along. Consider previous uses without to have been freebies.

i see that as a backstab to the whole point of capes, they don't have a proper cape system in place so i see the free-to-apply part as a redemption for that.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Capes are just another back item. Why do you think they would be magically exempted from the existing system?

because capes are done properly in guild wars but GW2 lacks the means, because you can't expect ppl to pay just to change the cape style, bacause that would be fair at this point?

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

> I honestly never understood the transmutation charge system, It's just added inconvenience.

> At this point I just wish they'd release an unlimited transmutation, It's not like people are dumb enough to buy them for gems/gold.

They must though, other wise you wouldn't see them as part of the Gem Shop sale occurring next month(I have over 2000, all from BLTC).

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Solanum.6983" said:

> > I honestly never understood the transmutation charge system, It's just added inconvenience.

> > At this point I just wish they'd release an unlimited transmutation, It's not like people are dumb enough to buy them for gems/gold.

>

> They must though, other wise you wouldn't see them as part of the Gem Shop sale occurring next month(I have over 2000, all from BLTC).

Personally I think they're value isn't near what you pay from BLTC, If you have the time you can earn so many in WVW. But yeah that's the one reason I don't see them changing the mutation system, It would mean one less micro transaction.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

> I honestly never understood the transmutation charge system, It's just added inconvenience.

> At this point I just wish they'd release an unlimited transmutation, It's not like people are dumb enough to buy them for gems/gold.

Already exist, its called spvp and wvw. I litterally have thousands of say charges. Its like the Halloween finishers, does anyonw buy them when most people have thousands of them.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

Anet's analytics probably say otherwise, else they would have eliminated them by now. So much of end game is Fashion Wars. I imagine quite a lot of people use transmutation charges on a frequent basis and probably buy them. Perhaps the role-players do this a lot and since they don't WvW where these drop like rain, they're forced to buy them?

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

I kinda of agree.. it's not exactly hard to stockpile hundreds of charges up.. I can't recall the last time I needed them and not had any.

Unless you're a new player or someone who changes appearance constantly you should have hundreds of charges sitting around.

Kinda makes them irrelevant tbh.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

at launch it was part of their monetization strategy. The game had transmutation stones which you could acquire in game (pretty much as today), but they only worked for items below level 80. For max level items one had to use transmutation crystals, which were only available at the gem store.

That all went downhill with the introduction of the wardrobe, as the system got unified, and the introduced exchange rate was that three stones gave a charge (and one crystal = one charge).

I do agree that for people who want the freedom to constantly change skins, a special item should be made available in the store. Since people would complain that the charges one gets become obsolete if we get an unlimited charge, I'd make it a portable shop item that sells them instead. Each charge could be something like 1g + 5k karma, and that way regular charges still have value.

> @"Solanum.6983" said:

Unlimited transmutation? Thats called playing pvp/wvw.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > @"Solanum.6983" said:

> > I honestly never understood the transmutation charge system, It's just added inconvenience.

> > At this point I just wish they'd release an unlimited transmutation, It's not like people are dumb enough to buy them for gems/gold.

>

> Unlimited transmutation? Thats called playing pvp/wvw.

Yeah put why I should be force to play an unfun game mode just to farm charges?

> @"Makuragee.3058" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > > @"Solanum.6983" said:

> > > I honestly never understood the transmutation charge system, It's just added inconvenience.

> > > At this point I just wish they'd release an unlimited transmutation, It's not like people are dumb enough to buy them for gems/gold.

> >

> > Unlimited transmutation? Thats called playing pvp/wvw.

> Yeah put why I should be force to play an unfun game mode just to farm charges?

Dont ask me, why there are almost no t charges in PvE.

> @"Makuragee.3058" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > > @"Solanum.6983" said:

> > > I honestly never understood the transmutation charge system, It's just added inconvenience.

> > > At this point I just wish they'd release an unlimited transmutation, It's not like people are dumb enough to buy them for gems/gold.

> >

> > Unlimited transmutation? Thats called playing pvp/wvw.

> Yeah put why I should be force to play an unfun game mode just to farm charges?

Your not forced at all play whats fun for you use gold to gems and buy your transmutation charges from the gemstore.

Pve earn alot more gold then wvw anyway.

Transmutation Charges are certainly harder to come by in PvE. You basically have to trade gems for gold. But something like 25 charges / 600 gems / ~190 gold doesn't seem too bad to me if you only play PvE. You are going to swim in gold compared to the hardcore WvW/PvP players.

> @"Henry.5713" said:

> Transmutation Charges are certainly harder to come by in PvE. You basically have to trade gems for gold. But something like 25 charges / 600 gems / ~190 gold doesn't seem too bad to me if you only play PvE. You are going to swim in gold compared to the hardcore WvW/PvP players.

For new players, maybe. For veteran players who have been around since day 1, not so much. I have over 500 TCs on my account. Granted I get a lot from BL Chests when I decide to splurge on a few.