ELONA'S THEME INSPIRED BY AFRICA

I've always wondered if Elona is inspired by the people's of Africa? As I see their hairdo and also their names. I saw the Soulbeast NPC and his surname is the name of my uncle and I am of west African descent. Also many other names look familiar, it's pretty cool. And where is Kryta inspired by?

> @"Ithilwen.1529" said:

> It's pretty obvious Elona has a North African flavor. It's even clearer in GW1.

Ye no doubt, especially when you head further south into Vabbi, they have Egyptian themed clothes. But when I looked at some of the named they, looked like the were from other parts of Africa which made me smile as I recognised some of them. Some had names of my family members or tribes that i knew of.

> @"kenny leone.2973" said:

> I was even looking at the rev legend Shiro tagachi and they said he was a villain from gw1. And it looks like a japanese type name, so maybe they had an Asian themed place aswell that I don't know of. Pretty cool

Yes, Factions (the second GW1 campaign released) took place in Cantha, which was kind of a big mix of a few Eastern Asian cultures and aesthetics. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Cantha

Similarly, Elona is based on many different areas and cultures of Africa, some of the most recognizable being the Egyptian influences.

From the Wiki:

_Tyria, like the other continents in the world of Tyria, draws inspiration from the actual continent of Europe during medieval times, with areas like the Shiverpeaks, being reminiscent of the Scandinavian area._

_Cantha is heavily based upon Eastern Asia and its cultures._

_Elona, like many of the other regions, draws its inspiration heavily from the real-life continent of Africa and its many cultures._

You can read more here: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Continent

> @"Ithilwen.1529" said:

> Cantha is sort of China/Japan/Korea all rolled into one and is one of my favorite areas of GW1.

>

> GW1 is still active. I encourage anyone to give it a try. I'm having a ball there.

>

> On the subject of Vabbi, there's some Islamic influence there as well.

I’d say _Arabian_ rather than Islamic. There’s a difference as per-Islamic Arabia was quite distinct.

Most of the cultural splits for humans are amalgamates of regions in our world; typically modeled after some dominate empire at one point in history.

Elona is Egyptian, African and the surrounding Dessert regions.

Old Kyrta is a mixture of Western Mediterranean and South American, with multiple hints to the Spanish expansion

Ascalaon is the classic high fantasy English/European

Cantha is a mixture of several Eurasian cultures. The Empire of the Dragon is a reference to Chinese Dynasties. The Kurzicks are Germaic/Russian. Luxons being a combination of several central asian nomadic groups, and a dollop of Greek.

Not sure what else I'm missing.

> @"Ithilwen.1529" said:

> Cantha is sort of China/Japan/Korea all rolled into one and is one of my favorite areas of GW1.

>

> GW1 is still active. I encourage anyone to give it a try. I'm having a ball there.

>

> On the subject of Vabbi, there's some Islamic influence there as well.

Oh I see, Ill look it up, thanks

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> Ancient Egypt.

>

> Elona is ancient Egypt.

>

> Figured it’d be obvious with all the mummies and pyramids, lol.

There are pyramids across the world.

They were aliens bases.

Also mobs skils are inspired in diablo, i saw what u did there Anet.....

/flyes away!

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> Most of the cultural splits for humans are amalgamates of regions in our world; typically modeled after some dominate empire at one point in history.

>

>

> Elona is Egyptian, African and the surrounding Dessert regions.

> Old Kyrta is a mixture of Western Mediterranean and South American, with multiple hints to the Spanish expansion

> Ascalaon is the classic high fantasy English/European

> Cantha is a mixture of several Eurasian cultures. The Empire of the Dragon is a reference to Chinese Dynasties. The Kurzicks are Germaic/Russian. Luxons being a combination of several central asian nomadic groups, and a dollop of Greek.

>

> Not sure what else I'm missing.

Mmmm dessert regions ?

As other people have said each continent in Tyria is inspired by a different real-life continent, and each one is a mix of the cultures historically found there (which are not always the same as the ones there today).

Sometimes there is some geographical differences within continents too - for example in GW1 I think Istan was more inspired by central and south Africa, whereas Kourna and Vabbi were more like north Africa. Likewise Ascalon was more like Western Europe and Kryta was more like the Mediterranean. Now it's less noticeable, because Kryta had a big influx of Ascalonians, and to a lesser extent Elonians and Canthans and that, plus events in Kryta, influenced their culture. And of course Elona was conqured by Joko which changed and homogenised everything a bit. But it's never been possible to match up just 1 real life country and a part of Tyria. They all draw inspiration from all kinds of places.

(There's also Orr which was inspired by the Middle East and Arabic culture, but we've never gotten to see that properly in a game, and there was a South American themed area planned for a GW1 campaign which was scrapped in favour of making GW2, so that part of Tyria might still exist in lore/future plans and we might get to see it one day.)

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> Kryta is weird, it went from gw1 looking like aztec or something, to gw2's version which looks alot more pristine. Cantha is based on asian infuences and favelas, underground ganks n kitten. Really different tone u dont see in the rest of tyria.

I always thought Kryta even had some polynesian flair to it. Could be the GW1 landscape though.

> I was even looking at the rev legend Shiro tagachi and they said he was a villain from gw1. And it looks like a japanese type name, so maybe they had an Asian themed place aswell that I don't know of. Pretty cool

Aye Cantha it's a large island much further south of Elona across the ocean.

It had a very Asian themed culture much of it Chinese themed and introduced a ton of new content for Gw1.

In Gw1 we didn't get expansions like in Gw2 (except Eye of the North) instead Gw1 mostly had entire stand alone campaigns.. Prophecies (Tyria), Factions (Cantha) and Nightfall (Elona) were all stand alone games that you could merge together on your Gw1 account so your characters could travel between each of the games.

So essentially Gw1 was 3 whole games and 1 expansion lol

Cantha is a huge fan favorite region and one of the biggest requests for future Gw2 content.

There's a ton of lore there and amazing regions to explore.. for many of us Gw1 players it would be a dream come true to get to go back there in Gw2.

I would be very excited to see the Echevold forest in gw2.. a giant forest of petirfied trees ^^ and of course seige turtles were a thing and pure awesome :D

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"kenny leone.2973" said:

> > I was even looking at the rev legend Shiro tagachi and they said he was a villain from gw1. And it looks like a japanese type name, so maybe they had an Asian themed place aswell that I don't know of. Pretty cool

>

> Aye Cantha it's a large island much further south of Elona across the ocean.

> It had a very Asian themed culture much of it Chinese themed and introduced a ton of new content for Gw1.

>

> In Gw1 we didn't get expansions like in Gw2 (except Eye of the North) instead Gw1 mostly had entire stand alone campaigns.. Prophecies (Tyria), Factions (Cantha) and Nightfall (Elona) were all stand alone games that you could merge together on your Gw1 account so your characters could travel between each of the games.

>

> So essentially Gw1 was 3 whole games and 1 expansion lol

>

> Cantha is a huge fan favorite region and one of the biggest requests for future Gw2 content.

> There's a ton of lore there and amazing regions to explore.. for many of us Gw1 players it would be a dream come true to get to go back there in Gw2.

> I would be very excited to see the Echevold forest in gw2.. a giant forest of petirfied trees ^^ and of course seige turtles were a thing and pure awesome :D

If the city is destroyed completely i wouldnt mind going back there, but i despised cantha until *after* i got out in the jade sea or the Echevold forest, neither of which exists in the state we knew them as having existed. The Shing Jea islands where nice, but i couldnt stand having to run through that disgusting, monotone city for any length of time >.<

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> If the city is destroyed completely i wouldnt mind going back there, but i despised cantha until *after* i got out in the jade sea or the Echevold forest, neither of which exists in the state we knew them as having existed. The Shing Jea islands where nice, but i couldnt stand having to run through that disgusting, monotone city for any length of time >.<

Ditto. I hated that stupid city. I was so happy when I finally got to leave it and go to Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea.

> I've always wondered if Elona is inspired by the people's of Africa? As I see their hairdo and also their names. I saw the Soulbeast NPC and his surname is the name of my uncle and I am of west African descent. Also many other names look familiar, it's pretty cool. And where is Kryta inspired by?

That's so cool that you recognized some of the names! I was super excited for Elona for similar reasons. Many of my students are from countries in Africa (mostly Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Liberia), and some of the NPCs have my students' first or last names. =D