Should dps meters get banned?

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> I don't think they get banned.

> However, they should get restricted to only showing data of people who have it installed.

>

> The data of people who don't use it shouldn't be visible.

The data doesn't belong to anyone and is inherently public. Which is to say the data is already available to everyone. No mine or yours here. Nothing wrong with reading it at all as it's technically already being done. It's one of the ways the game actually functions. All Arc does is give a fairly accurate approximation of that data and display it in a more readable manner.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> i love how people make assumptions if someone is against them, "he want to be carried", "your dps is too low", "You need to learn to play", "you refuse to learn",

> i use arcdps to check my dps and im against it, because everyone that use it against other people are toxic and most of time the bad ones.

>

> people go glass cannon to get more dps, because they can't do mechanics, so they need to kill it fast before they die, 90% of the times the dps chat talkers are the ones failling mechanics, not evading boss hits, making the party die to ress him and trash talking about how the dps is low and that's why it's failling.

>

> one time a guy started trash talking about how my friend dps was too low, i was using it too, i don't know if his arcdps was bugged or what but my friend was doing more dps than him, we just kicked him without thinking.

>

> what me and my friends do when someone talk about dps? we kick them at the last boss just like they deserve, i hope more people start doing this so we can get a better community.

Based on what you just wrote you should have voted no as it helped you kick out some players with very low dps.

> @"Sir Alymer.3406" said:

> > @"TrOtskY.5927" said:

> > > @"Sir Alymer.3406" said:

> > > > @"TrOtskY.5927" said:

> > > > > @"Sir Alymer.3406" said:

> > > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > "**While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.**"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > so people using arc dps to harass bad players is a bannable offense, it's insulting and offensive.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "**You may not modify any part of the Guild Wars 2 client or server software. Also, you may not modify any part of the official Guild Wars 2 websites, other than the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki in accordance with its terms and conditions.**"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > it's not an in game feature to see other people dps, even if it's not cheating it's used to harm people.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Using arcdps to check your own dps is a thing, now to check people dps just because they are doing 2k less dps than you and harassing them is another.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > so anet should follow the rules and start banning people using it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > **fun fact**: people say the game don't have trinity, it's worse than that, the game is all about dps and healers, anet made alot of prefix to items and people want just to force vipers/zerk/harrier.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i saw people harassing others on fractals just because they did "low dps" even if the fractal was done without a death and was easy, it should be a bannable offense.

> > > > >

> > > > > Let's take another look at that rule, why don't we?

> > > > >

> > > > > *While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > >

> > > > > A bit closer now.

> > > > >

> > > > > *you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > This works both ways. Why should a group of 9 have to put up with 1 person who does not respect their time?

> > >

> > > You didn't read further where I said the following:

> > > > > So if you join a group and you aren't the leader, you agree to allow the leader of said group enjoy the game their way. If, for whatever reason, you don't meet their standards of play or aren't allowing them to have fun, they have every right to remove you from their group and not play with you. This is also true for you. You can make a group, squad, or otherwise and remove players as you see fit. It's your group to do with as you please.

> > >

> > > Please read the whole post before responding to a single thing within.

> >

> > Fair enough, but given this context I can't see how you can be against others wanting to use a tool to their advantage

> >

>

> I don't like the tool. I don't like how it breaks on every update or just randomly. I don't care for it causing crashes in my game. I'd rather ANet design content to bring out the best in players instead of fostering this community of uber casuals that get offended at the mere mention of anything requiring more effort than setting auto attack and afking.

It sounds like a bit of a protest vote

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > Fair enough, but given this context I can't see how you can be against others wanting to use a tool to their advantage

> For me, it isn't so much the tool; rather, that it is a third-party thing. IMO, if Anet designed content that needs this type of meter, then they should have included it. /shrug

>

>

I'm just not a fan of circular logic

let imagine arcdps is dissapear

so you get invite, ppl go to golem, or some elite, ant with mechanical watch look how fast you kill golem/elite

after time check you get silent kick, or stay in squad/party and added in friendliest for future ..

Also be sure requirement will be stronger than now ..

if dps on some part is not main value - people check AP count AND biuld, AND class AND ask link stat AND link dhuum kp .. pref 200+

ofc there is one more way - remove arcdps, and decrease raid/fractal npc hp size 2-3X . but this is unreal ... so reread first variant and be ready for that.

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > "**While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.**"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > so people using arc dps to harass bad players is a bannable offense, it's insulting and offensive.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "**You may not modify any part of the Guild Wars 2 client or server software. Also, you may not modify any part of the official Guild Wars 2 websites, other than the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki in accordance with its terms and conditions.**"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > it's not an in game feature to see other people dps, even if it's not cheating it's used to harm people.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Using arcdps to check your own dps is a thing, now to check people dps just because they are doing 2k less dps than you and harassing them is another.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > **fun fact**: people say the game don't have trinity, it's worse than that, the game is all about dps and healers, anet made alot of prefix to items and people want just to force vipers/zerk/harrier.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > i saw people harassing others on fractals just because they did "low dps" even if the fractal was done without a death and was easy, it should be a bannable offense.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > *While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > *you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > This works both ways. Why should a group of 9 have to put up with 1 person who does not respect their time?

> > >

> > > nothing like picking texts out of context to read what you want, nice try

> >

> > So why not make anet remove abillity to kick or leave force ppl to do play with they got no matter

>

> that would be good, imagine the cryings on forum because they can't force their meta, forcing people learn mechanics instead of yelling my dps

This post really displays a deep ignorance of the game and the people you are throwing shade on.

Someone with good DPS has those numbers **because** they understand the mechanics of an encounter, not because they are ignoring them for a rotation.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > @"TrOtskY.5927" said:

> > > > > > @"Sir Alymer.3406" said:

> > > > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > > "**While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.**"

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > so people using arc dps to harass bad players is a bannable offense, it's insulting and offensive.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > "**You may not modify any part of the Guild Wars 2 client or server software. Also, you may not modify any part of the official Guild Wars 2 websites, other than the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki in accordance with its terms and conditions.**"

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > it's not an in game feature to see other people dps, even if it's not cheating it's used to harm people.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Using arcdps to check your own dps is a thing, now to check people dps just because they are doing 2k less dps than you and harassing them is another.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > so anet should follow the rules and start banning people using it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > **fun fact**: people say the game don't have trinity, it's worse than that, the game is all about dps and healers, anet made alot of prefix to items and people want just to force vipers/zerk/harrier.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > i saw people harassing others on fractals just because they did "low dps" even if the fractal was done without a death and was easy, it should be a bannable offense.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Let's take another look at that rule, why don't we?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > *While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A bit closer now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > *you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > This works both ways. Why should a group of 9 have to put up with 1 person who does not respect their time?

> > > >

> > > > nothing like picking texts out of context to read what you want, nice try

> > >

> > > So why not make anet remove abillity to kick or leave force ppl to do play with they got no matter

> >

> > that would be good, imagine the cryings on forum because they can't force their meta, forcing people learn mechanics instead of yelling my dps

> This post really displays a deep ignorance of the game and the people you are throwing shade on.

> Someone with good DPS has those numbers **because** they understand the mechanics of an encounter, not because they are ignoring them for a rotation.

like the guy who posted that need to pay 300g to train on the free golem, yeah...

but don't worry i will keep kicking bad players who dare to talk about dps on my party, at the last boss.

> @"Sir Alymer.3406" said:

> > > @"Sir Alymer.3406" said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You didn't read further where I said the following:

> > > > > So if you join a group and you aren't the leader, you agree to allow the leader of said group enjoy the game their way. If, for whatever reason, you don't meet their standards of play or aren't allowing them to have fun, they have every right to remove you from their group and not play with you. This is also true for you. You can make a group, squad, or otherwise and remove players as you see fit. It's your group to do with as you please.

> > >

> > > Please read the whole post before responding to a single thing within.

> >

> >

>

> I don't like the tool. I don't like how it breaks on every update or just randomly. I don't care for it causing crashes in my game. I'd rather ANet design content to bring out the best in players instead of fostering this community of uber casuals that get offended at the mere mention of anything requiring more effort than setting auto attack and afking.

I don't think "casuals" play everyday so much that they get so bored that they start AFK farming, either in some random spot or doing metas. Well maybe they do too, but this is just another thing where everyone does it because there is no consequence. I wonder if you can AFK in raids as long as one player is doing all the work? Just cheese all the mechanics and i'm sure it isn't so bad, like raiders cheese everything they can in every game.

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > @"TrOtskY.5927" said:

> > > > > > > @"Sir Alymer.3406" said:

> > > > > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > > > "**While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.**"

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > so people using arc dps to harass bad players is a bannable offense, it's insulting and offensive.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > "**You may not modify any part of the Guild Wars 2 client or server software. Also, you may not modify any part of the official Guild Wars 2 websites, other than the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki in accordance with its terms and conditions.**"

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > it's not an in game feature to see other people dps, even if it's not cheating it's used to harm people.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Using arcdps to check your own dps is a thing, now to check people dps just because they are doing 2k less dps than you and harassing them is another.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > so anet should follow the rules and start banning people using it.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > **fun fact**: people say the game don't have trinity, it's worse than that, the game is all about dps and healers, anet made alot of prefix to items and people want just to force vipers/zerk/harrier.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > i saw people harassing others on fractals just because they did "low dps" even if the fractal was done without a death and was easy, it should be a bannable offense.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Let's take another look at that rule, why don't we?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > *While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A bit closer now.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > *you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game.*

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This works both ways. Why should a group of 9 have to put up with 1 person who does not respect their time?

> > > > >

> > > > > nothing like picking texts out of context to read what you want, nice try

> > > >

> > > > So why not make anet remove abillity to kick or leave force ppl to do play with they got no matter

> > >

> > > that would be good, imagine the cryings on forum because they can't force their meta, forcing people learn mechanics instead of yelling my dps

> > This post really displays a deep ignorance of the game and the people you are throwing shade on.

> > Someone with good DPS has those numbers **because** they understand the mechanics of an encounter, not because they are ignoring them for a rotation.

>

> like the guy who posted that need to pay 300g to train on the free golem, yeah...

>

> but don't worry i will keep kicking bad players who dare to talk about dps on my party, at the last boss.

You've really shown your true colors in this thread.

The picture it paints is not pretty at all.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> I really don't care if people want to monitor their DPS. But if it is just such a big issue, Arenanet can just add a function in game for training.

I'd be fine with that...if they hadn't taken an already working part of arcdps, heavily monetized their own vastly inferior version, and then banned the third-party version. I think I'll just stick with what I have.

I voted yes, but only because I think Anet should be putting that support directly into the game.

They put in golems to test on, but couldn't be bothered to supply the point of using them?

Do they want people to suck at this game or not?

When they decide they're actually committed to fostering players that have the tools in game to not suck, they'll supply this themselves, and they bloody well should.

We should totally have meters, and a lot of other tools to help players reach the ship levels required for higher end fractals and raiding.

But neither Anet nor any other MMO developers I know of seem to be aware that they need to teach people to play their game if their game is supposed to be difficult and they want people to play nicely together.

Leave it up to the players to create the tools and be responsible for bridging those skill gaps and many won't try to cross then at all.

Then you'll just wind up with lots of players that never do fractals or raid ever and would sooner set their computers on fire than even think about doing so because they know they're not skillful enough and they refuse to trust per players to help them without ridiculing then into fine red mist every step of the way.

If Anet ever decides they want to provide the proper support tools that advanced content such as raids and higher tier fractals consist of, that would be great.

ArcDPS doesn't tell anyone skilled anything useful, and it doesn't tell anyone that isn't skilled how to get better.

It's a very nice way to confirm that you hit hard a lot or that you don't.

If you'd like to know why or what to do about it in the case of you're not making the numbers be bigger, you're either on your own or your better find some players that will help you sort that out.

Anet takes no responsibility what so ever for helping you get better at playing their game, which is either on purpose and they really just don't care or it isn't on purpose and I don't know what they do with their time.

I really wish game devs would provide the tools that have been established as being standard and customary to support skill development in their games, but they always seem to think they're being magnanimous by leaving that up to the players.

Looks like they're just doing nothing at all and being incredibly lazy about it to me.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> This is an issue of ppl spying on what other ppl do in groups.

No it is not.

DPS meters are almost exclusively a good thing. They make it easier fora player to demonstrate that their character can meet the group's needs regardless of opinion or bias toward/against a given profession.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> DPS meters are almost exclusively a good thing. They make it easier fora player to demonstrate that their character can meet the group's needs regardless of opinion or bias toward/against a given profession.

>

Let's not forget that DPS values are a great way to discriminate people who play the way they want, because it's more fun to them than META builds with even fixed rotations.

It's far from being "almost exclusively a good thing", it's 50% positive **at best.**

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> Most players aren't so forthcoming about their toxicity. I'll just block you in advance. Thanks for the heads up!

If i was a part of administration team, i would ban him right now preemptively.

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> but don't worry i will keep kicking bad players who dare to talk about dps on my party, at the last boss.

Because this kitten behavior obviously violates user agreement and steals someone's invaluable lifetime.

Therefore should be banned permanently.

Yeah, thanks for heads up. Everyone reading this feel free to block the **SeikeNz.3526** for your good

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > DPS meters are almost exclusively a good thing. They make it easier fora player to demonstrate that their character can meet the group's needs regardless of opinion or bias toward/against a given profession.

> >

> Let's not forget that DPS values are a great way to discriminate people who play the way they want, because it's more fun to them than META builds with even fixed rotations.

> It's far from being "almost exclusively a good thing", it's 50% positive **at best.**

>

Except that is only partly true.

The core flaw in your statement is that players on meta builds will provide performance. That is only partly true, and only because meta builds have a higher potential performance.

Dps meters don't check builds, they display performance. They literally **allow** players to play custom builds, if the player's build and his mastery of it are in order.

What they do for weak players, and this is in a large part unrelated to meta or not meta builds, is show a lack in performance. Often the levels of lacking performance are far higher than a simple build difference would allow.

What you meant to say is:"dps meters show up players who lack game knowledge, practice, skill and a proper build." Most try to then argue they can't play the way they want, when the simple problem is that they lack the skill to make builds and execute those, in order to play them.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > DPS meters are almost exclusively a good thing. They make it easier fora player to demonstrate that their character can meet the group's needs regardless of opinion or bias toward/against a given profession.

> >

> Let's not forget that DPS values are a great way to discriminate people who play the way they want, because it's more fun to them than META builds with even fixed rotations.

> It's far from being "almost exclusively a good thing", it's 50% positive **at best.**

>

Isn't exactly the opposite true? a dps meter allows those players who are competent on non meta build to be allowed instead of being kicked before even starting?

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> >

ArcDPS just helps the group track what you're actually doing in an encounter. Damage output, boon output, cleansing, healing, whatever. That's it. That's all it does. It brings with it absolutely zero concept of what's "meta" or what the right way to play the game is. Some of the ancillary post-game analysis tools will tell you stuff like your average stack spacing or whether you cancel your auto-attack chains inefficiently. That's about as prescriptive as it gets.

The argument being made again and again in this thread is that you can't "play the way you want" if other players are able to tell whether you're accomplishing anything in group content. That's pretty absurd. In harder group content, you need to bring something to the table; and you need to be able to articulate *what it is* if your goal is some kind of "unconventional" strategy. The fact that Arc isn't just the golem bench test where you try to spike out DPS with zero interaction by rolling a rotation should actually make life *easier* for your personal build with cool utilities or helpful self-sustain to impress the group, as long as you're actually making use of those features to do something useful.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> Isn't exactly the opposite true? a dps meter allows those players who are competent on non meta build to be allowed instead of being kicked before even starting?

Sure it is. For example me and my teammates are not elitists. We use arc to have an understanding on what is going on.

We run with ~150 LI req and we dont care what classes fill dps roles and what builds they use.

While we dont hit enrage timers and dont wipe it is okay if bois play dps scourges or daredevils or mirages.

Whatever they like. But we also welcome those who understand meta performance and can stay on 30k/s.

Because that is polite behavior and saves time for whole squad. And that also ultimately means they understand every encounter mechanics

> @"Sinful Mustache.3589" said:

> One more thing i can highlight.

> In this game there are literally no physical obstacles for anyone to play all the high-end content (except enrage timers).

> If you feel offended by "dps toxicity", go create your own squad and play happily with mates alike yourself. Just dont join demanding parties.

> What is the problem? I really dont get it.

> You post lfg "anyone with whatever crazy builds are welcome. we kick toxic ppl who dares to mention dps", and enjoy your gameplay.

> Simple

That's fair.

But I got to say, there are people out there, that don't state stuff in the lfg and kick others when their dps is low.

How about this: in my experience the toxicity mostly comes from the players who get kicked. People that are not carrying their weight get kicked of the group silently or with some message like "Sorry dude, you are not carrying your weight, try finding a training guild". I have NEVER seen any commander kicking a person and being harrasive, why would they ? Person gets kicked, everyone understands why... But then they get frustrated because they'd been kicked and whisper back to the commander with all their frustration. What about accepting it, not whispering back and not creating toxicity.

Here is an important message for all of you who got silently kicked:

**"IF YOU DON'T WANT TOXICITY, DON'T CREATE IT BY WHISPERING TO PEOPLE THAT KICKED YOU" .**

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> So why not make anet remove abillity to kick or leave force ppl to do play with they got no matter

Oh yes. So it would work exactly like the trolls in PVP that stay at base and afk?

And you disable... leaving. How long would the instance last? 1 hour, 2 hours? In PVP it works because matches have a set duration, if you don't like the match, leave, play another game for 15 minutes, log back in. In PVE how is that going to work? How long would I have to play another game before coming back to Guild Wars 2?

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

Then you are going to have to explain why it is a negative factor for players to have the ability to form groups with the types of people they want to play with, as opposed to teaming up with players they do not wish to play with. Because thats sounds blatantly positve to me.

> @"Sinful Mustache.3589" said:

> If i was a part of administration team, i would ban him right now preemptively.

Considering they admitted to past violations of the ToS in this very thread, banning them now would be retroactive, not preemptive.

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> one time a guy started trash talking about how my friend dps was too low, i was using it too, i don't know if his arcdps was bugged or what but my friend was doing more dps than him, we just kicked him without thinking.

a lot of people dont have their ArcDPS set up properly. Not showing the target/boss dps for example.

They will get a hard on because Arc tells them theyre doing 30k dps, while its really 20k cleave on trash mobs and only 10k on the boss (fictional numbers)

Though a lot of cleave _can_ be very important for some content/encounters.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> >

Its entirely beyond most casual's understanding that some people simply find joy in taking their gameplay to another level, and that they want to play with like minded people (= _not_ casuals) while doing so.

So yes, dps values are a great way to discriminate people.

For example, said casuals love to descriminate good players because the only explanation how they got so good must be that they have no friends, no family, no real life, etc. /s

PS:

players strictly following a fixed rotation are usually those who will _not_ meet the "meta dps", because the slightest difference in boon uptimes or some other kind of situational stuff will throw them out of said rotation and totally confuse them.

in order to meet those numbers you will have to _understand_ your class and adapt your playstyle depending on the situation.