RIP Shortbow

alchemyst.2165

Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Just glad I bailed on WvW and PvP ages ago. Those game modes used to be a lot of fun, but they've slowly turned into a dumpster fire over the years. This balance team is terrible. The literal worst Balance Team I've ever seen in any game ever. Ban me, don't even care any more; I'm just calling it like I see it.

Given how IA has relative high chance to fail (THAT they still didn't fix it after all those years), the change is kind of meh :| I mean it is not like they changed the role of thief in pvp (decap bot), just another nerf to mobility for the sake of it. How dare people to play the class how it was meant to be played by devs lol.

And here i wanted to spend some money on gems... oh well, guess not. Seems like Steam will be getting all the € this Xmas xD

> @"Yasai.3549" said:

> > @"alchemyst.2165" said:

> > I will now be dashing and heartseekering across the map for mobility, don't text

>

> Jokes on yu, I will be using Vault and Dash instead.

>

> Next patch, Staff gonna get nerfed yeeehaw

i mean same but i didn't wanna get yelled at for running staff in 2020 lmaooo

> @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> Who the hell spams #5 anyway? Still going to use it because porting up onto ledges are life saving moments.

>

> Sb is a very expensive weapon but still 1 of the best utility weapon out there.

Yeah, 'cept now when the guy other guy blinks after you (assuming they have a port / blink), you're dead 9 out of 10 times. No initiative left. They are literally hurting thief's gameplay patterns and identity as a swift move-around unit. Some of those cool maneuvers you could perform before? Too bad, now you can't. Besides that, #5 can obviously be spammed in certain situations.

I'd argue ranger's longbow is starting to look better as far as utility goes.

> @"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:

> Sb is a very expensive weapon but still 1 of the best utility weapon out there.

Shortbow is not a utility weapon. Create a CS, Tr, X marauder thief and look at the shortbow damage numbers! You will be surprised.

> Yeah, 'cept now when the guy other guy blinks after you (assuming they have a port / blink), you're dead 9 out of 10 times. No initiative left.

You are using shortbow wrong. Your deception skills fulfill the purpose you are looking for.

When I read such comments I think this nerf is a good opportunity for some thieves to start to learn their class and stop relying on absurd mobility to gain unlimited disengages.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > @"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:

> > Sb is a very expensive weapon but still 1 of the best utility weapon out there.

> Shortbow is not a utility weapon. Create a CS, Tr, X marauder thief and look at the shortbow damage numbers! You will be surprised.

>

> > Yeah, 'cept now when the guy other guy blinks after you (assuming they have a port / blink), you're dead 9 out of 10 times. No initiative left.

> You are using shortbow wrong. Your deception skills fulfill the purpose you are looking for.

>

> When I read such comments I think this nerf is a good opportunity for some thieves to start to learn their class and stop relying on absurd mobility to gain unlimited disengages.

Yeah god forbid a thief rely on their class survival mechanic to survive right

Don't get me wrong I've used plenty of builds without a shortbow and they can still perform, but this change basically forces thief to be in-combat most of the time which we don't really have the tools for in a lot of cases. Although I am excited to see what new builds come of this change, I don't think it was necessary.

> @"alchemyst.2165" said:

> > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > > @"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:

> > > Sb is a very expensive weapon but still 1 of the best utility weapon out there.

> > Shortbow is not a utility weapon. Create a CS, Tr, X marauder thief and look at the shortbow damage numbers! You will be surprised.

> >

> > > Yeah, 'cept now when the guy other guy blinks after you (assuming they have a port / blink), you're dead 9 out of 10 times. No initiative left.

> > You are using shortbow wrong. Your deception skills fulfill the purpose you are looking for.

> >

> > When I read such comments I think this nerf is a good opportunity for some thieves to start to learn their class and stop relying on absurd mobility to gain unlimited disengages.

>

> Yeah god forbid a thief rely on their class survival mechanic to survive right

>

> Don't get me wrong I've used plenty of builds without a shortbow and they can still perform, but this change basically forces thief to be in-combat most of the time which we don't really have the tools for in a lot of cases. Although I am excited to see what new builds come of this change, I don't think it was necessary.

It's also one of the few support skills that are reliable. That blind wasn't much but I probably used it for that and to get on top of my people more than anything else. It's a good thing Shadow Savior wasn't being used by anyone anyway or someone might have noticed the only reason to take that trait just got gutted. What does that guy mean using shortbow wrong, is there some right way we're supposed to use it? I probably build more to stay in large fights than most thieves and guess what happens when I stop relying on mobility? Exploded. If a thief is kind of useless I can see people not bothering with them and they think they can tank something but get some focus and watch them stumble for shortbow 5.

I actually used shadow savior a lot on my d/p, p/d, s/x, rifle, sbow, etc. I think it works with shadow flare too but it's not in the tooltip as a shadowstep nor in the shadow savior wiki page, but if you test it you should probably see dark savior appear in log. I'm still trying to figure out if I will keep sbow but I will camp on main weaponset. I don't want to but it looks like sa/trickery may be my goto for the moment.

> @"alchemyst.2165" said:

> > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > > @"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:

> > > Sb is a very expensive weapon but still 1 of the best utility weapon out there.

> > Shortbow is not a utility weapon. Create a CS, Tr, X marauder thief and look at the shortbow damage numbers! You will be surprised.

> >

> > > Yeah, 'cept now when the guy other guy blinks after you (assuming they have a port / blink), you're dead 9 out of 10 times. No initiative left.

> > You are using shortbow wrong. Your deception skills fulfill the purpose you are looking for.

> >

> > When I read such comments I think this nerf is a good opportunity for some thieves to start to learn their class and stop relying on absurd mobility to gain unlimited disengages.

>

> Yeah god forbid a thief rely on their class survival mechanic to survive right

>

> Don't get me wrong I've used plenty of builds without a shortbow and they can still perform, but this change basically forces thief to be in-combat most of the time which we don't really have the tools for in a lot of cases. Although I am excited to see what new builds come of this change, I don't think it was necessary.

Exactly lol. Necros can pop their shroud when close to death to survive but a thief using their class mechanics to servive is blasphemy.

I can't help but think the change is to ensure people can secure thief kills (can't kite/disengage as fast), perhaps secondarily to stop nearly every thief running short bow. Or maybe it's a positioning for a future change as was the alterations to acro line?

Going to try to get used to it - it's going to take a while as habits are difficult to break (i.e. use of shortbow to move around out of combat - it was only ever used in combat really to disengage if becoming outnumbered. Now will just have to respawn).

The real significant annoyance is that it used to be if you were trying to teleport up somewhere (or along), if it fails (lets be honest, teleports regularly fail and just remove init in this game) you could at least try again. With this change, you can't... and if you do, you'll have zero init whatsoever. If it only EVER removed init on a successful port-to-target then I'd be less concerned.

If people are really that upset about it I don't think posts are going to make the slightest difference... vote with your feet instead.

> @"kash.9213" said:

> Death's Retreat will probably be next and cost all initiative plus put you in dept and roots you for the next attack.

They will nerf that,then few months later they will nerf stealth acces on De aswell. Aslong as the block/heal/cleansing/projectile spamming blobs are happy,cus thats their most income anyway.

I mean even if All thieves now jump to DE cus of Death's Retreat,or make a full dodge build. They will nerf it again and keep the casual sustain spamming alive,as it has been after Hot got released. This is just their vision of WvW,a place full of casuals spamming random buttons being carried by boons/heals and downed state.

> @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> Who the hell spams #5 anyway? Still going to use it because porting up onto ledges are life saving moments.

>

Try to play vs power revenant that is on enemy team now. U will shortbow 5 somewhere and rev will just shiro follow you because it literally costs nothing. You will be depleted of initiative and try to stealth, rev will just reveal you and finish you. No chance to even fight back

> @"fluffdragon.1523" said:

> Just looked into that GWMists thing or whatever ANet wants us to sign up for. Check out all the great new competitive builds for Teef!

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/hhwY0hB.png "")

Thief is still perfectly fine for roaming, not sure why you'd use some third party site to determine if the class is useful or not.

And sure, I disagree with that balancing attempt, because if they don't want that mobility skill spammed then they could add cooldown on top of ini cost rev-style, so using it once wouldn't kitten the rest of the weapon skillset, but I wouldn't say that nerf somehow kills the shortbow or -even moreso- the class.