Combat in this game is way too slow for me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"yoni.7015" said:

> > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > >

> > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > >

> > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > >

> > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> >

> > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

>

> WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

>

>

Meh.

There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

I find GW2 very slow paced.

I think whether the combat is fast or slow largely depends on the profession you play. For instance for me Firebrand feels really slow and many spells take a century to deploy, whereas thieves are swift and near instant in execution. However as a whole in terms of MMO space I would say GW2 is far from a slow paced game when it comes to combat. There are skills which have instant cast times with the purpose of interrupting your opponents during their skill animation. However if you're a person coming from a game like Vindictus or Black Desert Online then I can see where you're coming from, but WoW? I feel WoW is even slower and clunkier. I could never get into that game for that reason, even when I tried private servers.

Personally, I think it should be on the slightly 'slower' side. Not like your normal sluggish tab target MMO but I don't want it to be where reaction speed means everything. I wouldn't want this game to become just "who can smash their keys the fastest". Since it's not super duper fast people like me who only have an average reaction speed can stand up just as well to those with a super fast reaction speed. I would immediately stop playing if this games pvp became only about who can react faster. I think right now most stuff is readable unless you maybe have a below average reaction speed.

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > >

> > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > >

> > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > >

> > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > >

> > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> >

> > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> >

> >

>

> Meh.

>

> There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> I find GW2 very slow paced.

That's extremely slow. I play a necromancer, one of the absolute slowest classes in the game and this is as slow as life blast. That's painfully slow. Like holy hell. How could anyone think this was fast?

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > >

> > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > >

> > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > >

> > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > >

> > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> >

> > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> >

> >

>

> Meh.

>

> There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> I find GW2 very slow paced.

How do you find that in the video faster than GW2? That's like playing GW2 while having slow and chill applied on you at the same time.

Judging by your posts I think your PC might be an issue if you play at 5 FPS it might make the game look slow compared to 120 FPS in WoW.

The only thing that bothers me with the cast times is the fact they're applied to healing skills in PvE.

By the time those things finish casting you can often get interrupted mid cast or receive enough damage during the cast - getting downed in the process.

EDIT: No, I can not dodge or avoid every sudden rush of damage or every stun. Especially when I'm surrounded or when there's so many effects that I can't see my character anymore. It would be great for that heal to reliably trigger so I can get out of such situations (like you're suggesting) in the first place.

It happens rarely to me too, but when that heal gets interrupted it's extremely annoying.

> @"Friday.7864" said:

> The only thing that bothers me with the cast times is the fact they're applied to healing skills in PvE.

> By the time those things finish casting you can often get interrupted mid cast or receive enough damage during the cast - getting downed in the process.

>

anticipate when you need the healing skill and remember avoiding the damage is better than healing through it.

I rarely get downed from healing skill being slow to cast..more likely from something I should've dodged in the first place.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > > > > I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> > > > > > Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

> > > > >

> > > > > MMOs are probably a bad genre for you if this is the case.

> > > >

> > > > Meh. WoW is much more dynamic imo. It's still an MMO. Even though they kind of ruined class design since Legion.

> > >

> > > WoW is not more dynamic. This is nonsense.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Meh.

> >

> > There's more waiting between spells in GW2, and there are fewer of them + their cooldown.

> > I find GW2 very slow paced.

>

> How do you find that in the video faster than GW2? That's like playing GW2 while having slow and chill applied on you at the same time.

> Judging by your posts I think your PC might be an issue if you play at 5 FPS it might make the game look slow compared to 120 FPS in WoW.

Look at the spellbar though. What you may not realize is that there are quite a few spells that are off-GCD, meaning he's often casting two at the same time.

And the baseline movement speed is faster in WoW than in GW2 imo.

gw2 is on the faster end of combat in most games i have played the only ones that get faster than this are beat em up style games where you literally smash you keys for combos and it looks cool but for the most part its brainless fun. not that there is anything wrong with having brainless fun form time to time it can be a good way to relax tbh.

Anyone who says games like WoW ifs faster combat than gw2 i can never understand that game is so slow it puts me to sleep and i played warlock which could move around for the majority of its instant cast afflictions and it still felt too slow.

> @"AgentMoore.9453" said:

> The combat system, functionally, is pretty interesting and good (I like dodge mechanics a whole heckabunch), but the two problems it currently has are visual noise and inappropriate mob scaling. Veterans in HoT maps can sometimes behave like champs in Core Tyria and trash mobs in Elona can take 8-10 years to cut down as more spawn in on top of the one or two you've managed to kill.

>

> Always room for improvement, but I think they're good on speed for now.

That is probably because level contribute way more than mob tier(veteran, elite, etc.) because the level difference not only increases the mob's health and damage but also reduces damage they take, reduces your chance to crit against them, reduces duration of conditions you apply to them and increases their chance to crit while hitting you.

PoF mobs are a different can of worms since they can go full invuln for no reason.

> @"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:

> If you think that GW2 is "slow," try GW1. There are several reasons why I can't return to that game, and the speed of combat is one of them.

Yet we will die just to the afflicted outside factions capital.. due how we are used to get carried with gw2 gameplay.

Gw2 classes carries the players, gw1 u had to carry the class.

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> I somewhat enjoy it, but this may be the main reason why GW2 is not my main MMORPG.

> Animations take way too long. Playing a melee in GW2 feels like playing a caster in WoW: you have a cast bar for you melee spells.

>

> There are very few spells that are really instant cast. Only Thieves' "Steal" ability comes to mind.

>

> When playing this game, I always feels like I'm "lagging". Like, I'm pressing a button and nothing happens for a moment, and then the damage happens. It feels clunky.

To be fair to many games focus on having fights ending in 2 or 5 seconds now days which is honestly not good at all, as that quick of a fight promotes Zero skill in gameplay or thought, too many players these days wish to put little thought into what there playing and wonder why the quality of some games have gone down, lets not encourage overly exaggerated damage and speed killing because it always leads to cheap content. Leads encourage combat systems that actually make you think.