Can we have a new way to get free Black Lion keys?

Aodlop.1907

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Jilora.9524" said:

> It is tedious. And a lot don't know or waste the time. A weekly added would encourage way more accounts to get that free key each week and anet would lose sales. Unless of course the weekly was as or more tedious

Well ANet would in that case make what you get from chests less worth and complicate it with token like Black Lion Vouchers or anything else that you need collect to make into a full piece and then get another item which also work as a token for higher tier items etc. In short: what people want from chests will then take much more time (and in the end ends up with a convoluted system of tokens to get what you want - and naturally introduce more ways to pay your way with real money).

Black Lion Chests did get you items that could be sold for some Gold for some years ago, but today it looks like most BLC contain token which one have to use "buy" same item at a special NPC.

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> We all know the trick of making a character, completing its personal story and getting a key for it. But it's a rather tedious process.

> Can't they scrap that and give us a weekly challenge to complete once per account that'd give us the key?

It would be way easier if Anet would just mail us a key every week. Don't put it in the gem store for free, that would be too much effort.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > We all know the trick of making a character, completing its personal story and getting a key for it. But it's a rather tedious process.

> > Can't they scrap that and give us a weekly challenge to complete once per account that'd give us the key?

>

> It would be way easier if Anet would just mail us a key every week. Don't put it in the gem store for free, that would be too much effort.

Why only one key? Why not a 5 key bundle? Or 10?

> @"Zephyr.5382" said:

> Not sure if serious. Just be appreciative that Anet even _allows_ this method.

I agree. I'm pretty sure the keys from the personal story are intended to be marketing - you get a free key so you try out the system, hopefully (from Anet's perspective) start thinking about all the cool things you could get and end up buying more.

I don't think they considered key runs when designing the system and I was pleasantly surprised that when they did revise it they only limited it to once a week. They could have made it once per account like Elder Scrolls Online did when they introduced level up rewards that included loot boxes.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> I've been doing core map completions on my alts and have started a (very) small stockpile of keys. I find that there really isn't much, if anything, that I want from the chests and the rare item that I might never falls to me anyway. Sometimes I wish that I could auction keys for gold. haha

I hear ya. I see a new mount skin, or weapon skin, or whatever, and while I think they are nice, I have so many to choose from now that it's hard to spend my keys. I keep holding out for a desirable guaranteed drop. I did spend the customer appreciation key and got the turtle, so that was nice. I like my submarine hummingbird just fine though.

> @"gert.7698" said:

> I have good news for you: you can get them by doing what you want: play game -> sell the loot for gold -> convert gold to gems -> buy keys

This basically. The least tedious is just to buy gems with money and then buy a key. I never bought a key (or key farmed...yet?) because I guess I just don't care enough.

I will entertain the idea, however, and say they could put a key in the daily log in Chest of Loyalty. You have the choice to get one key or the normal lot of laurels, crafting materials, etc. I think there should be an in game cost. This may also be or interesting for long term players who already have legendary, and laurels overflowing their coffers,, and want a little RNG excitement/disappointment.

I think it is also possible to get them from the daily log in black lion box at a rate of 1.7% or something. Honestly though, the keys seem kind alike a gimmick, so if you want to pray to the RNG gods, it is probably best to donate to the top tier deity of Tyria...Anet.

I have been playing since beta. They were way too easy to get initially without those limits. I still miss the rare drop via combat though. Considering the loot box mechanic is a serious money maker, I don't seen them reverting those changes. And if they do, you can bet your soul those odds will have at least another ten zeros added to the drop percentages.

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> I have been playing since beta. They were way too easy to get initially without those limits. I still miss the rare drop via combat though. Considering the loot box mechanic is a serious money maker, I don't seen them reverting those changes. And if they do, you can bet your soul those odds will have at least another ten zeros added to the drop percentages.

You can still get them from normal mobs its just super rare.

I suspect the fact it is a rather tedious process means that only a small minority of players do the weekly key farm. I know I don't bother with it, because I have other things I'd rather do with those 10 minutes than get a key.

If getting keys became very quick/non tedious, then a lot more players would likely do it, which would directly amount the number of keys Anet sells for money.